episode 2

A huge sign with the words "Pork Skins Galore" shone in the dark.

The pork skin restaurant, located on the outskirts of town and displaying literary and emotional potential with its name, didn't seem to be faring well. Jisoo looked around to find the interior much shabbier than when she'd visited it last. She smiled brightly at her two older sisters, seated around a makeshift table made out of an empty drum can, and told them to tuck in.

"Go on and eat, girls."

"Thanks, Jisooyaa".

"You eat as well."

"I'm good. Neither of you look too good. Have you been skipping meals? Are things still tough for you?"

The two older sisters, born within a year of each other, looked much seedier than they had at Lunar New Year earlier that year. They also both looked dead tired.

Oldest sister, Yoona, was a very thin woman of small stature who wore glasses with lenses so thick, it looked like her eyeballs were rolling about inside them. She was very easily hurt and always quick to apologize. She worked at a regional university hospital as a full-time anesthesiologist, having graduated from the university of the same hospital.

"I was off yesterday, so I worked a part-time job last night. I didn't get any sleep..."

"Oh, sis. You're already busy and tired with your studies. You should be getting rest. Why do such a thing?"

"I thought I should save up some money so I could help out when Irene opens her store..."

A look of pity crossed Jisoo's face as Yoona tiredly picked up a piece of meat and placed it in her mouth.

"Sis! There's no need to tell Jisoo that!"

When her other sister, Irene hissed, the owner of the restaurant flinched as he was preparing some pork skin.

Irene short and stout, was also a doctor. The difficult family finances had forced her to give up on learning to become a full-time doctor, and she was now working as a salaried doctor at a regional hospital.

"Don't pay that any mind, Jisoo. We're going to cover for ourselves from now on. There's no need for you to worry about anything anymore. Now, eat up. I'm buying today, so eat as much as you like. Hey, sir! Can I add a single serving?"

jisoo looked at Irene acting even more timid than Yoona after that confident statement, with eyes full of pity. She corrected the order.

"Can we have two more servings of pig skin and two servings of skirtmeat? Give us a bottle of coke with that."

The table was silent until the newly ordered food was brought.

"I'm sorry, Jisoo. I'm the oldest, and yet I was too caught up with doing what I wanted, without a thought for you two...I've been a terrible sister..."

Yoona burst into plaintive tears, and Irene also lowered her head and mumbled tearfully.

"No, sis. If I hadn't taken another year to study for the national exam, Jisoo wouldn't have had to get a job and pay for my schooling. She was the smartest of us three..."

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Jisoo."

Perhaps the sight of her sister crying thus was too much for her; her nose turned a bright red, and she remained silent as she fought to control her emotions. After a long time, her smile finally returned.

"It's alright. You worked hard to pay me back, and at least you didn't make a big mess like Dad did."

Their eyes grew round at this.