episode 6

Jisoo had been cleaning her itchy ear with a cotton swab. She glanced at the bottom right corner of her laptop screen, which read 10:40 PM.

“I hope the vice-chairman isn't badmouthing me.”

jisoo came to just as the marimba ringtone rang for the seventh time. Still trembling, she picked up.

“He-hello.”

“It’s me.”

It was her boss on the line.

“Vice-Chairman...”

Perhaps he realized that something was wrong from her voice. His voice grew higher in pitch.

“What's with your voice? Did something happen?”

“N-no, it’s nothing. I drowsed off. Should I come pick you up?”

“No. There’s no need. I've arrived at the house.”

“Oh, already? That’s good to hear. You’ve a full schedule tomorrow. You should get some rest. I’ll be there early in the morning to...”

“Open up.”

“What? What do you mean?”

“We need to talk.”

“Whaaat?”

jisoo halted and blinked as she organized her thoughts. She rushed to the front door and looked through the peephole.

The laws of physics made no exception, even for the great Kim Taehyung,it seemed. The peephole distorted even him into a comical, round shape.

***

“Come in.”

Jisoo opened the door, stepped to one side, and invited him in gently. But he stayed where he was, standing in the hallway of the small, single-room apartment building and maintaining his businesslike attitude. He thought he would talk to her tomorrow but the impatience got the best of him.

“It’s fine. I just came to ask you something.”

“How did you get here?”

“My car.”

“Oh my, did you drink and drive? You can’t!”

“I didn’t have a single drop tonight.”

taehyung's acquaintances, who met up regularly, were notorious drinkers. It was exceedingly rare for him to meet with them and not drink something with alcohol in it.

“What? Why?”

“That's beside the point. You mentioned dating and marriage earlier. Were you being serious?”

“Why would I lie?”

“But why, all of a sudden? Have you been seeing someone behind my back?”

Jisoo's wide-eyed, watched him and asked cautiously, “Vice-Chairman, are you angry, by any chance?”

“No. It’s none of my business whether you date anyone. Why would I get angry?”

“You’re right.”

Jisoo blinked and stalled, and Taehyung spoke bitingly.

“Just answer my question.”

“I’m not dating anyone on the sly. I have no reason to keep something like that secret. Besides, did I ever have the time to date someone? I go to work at 6 AM, and get home at a different time every day. I need to run to help you whenever you need me, even if I'm in bed or even in the bathroom. Ohohoho.”