8. **Chapter Eight: Society's Wrath II ** Urdu: II معاشرتی غصب

As the morning light filtered through the windows of the haveli, Barlas rose early and decided to clear his mind with a run in the vast garden area surrounding the haveli. The crisp morning air and the rhythmic pounding of his feet against the earth provided a temporary respite from the tumultuous events of the previous night.

After finishing his jogging session, Barlas made his way back to the haveli. Thirsty from his exertions, he headed to the kitchen to quench his thirst. However, as he entered the kitchen, he overheard the kitchen staff whispering amongst themselves. Their hushed tones and concerned expressions caught his attention.

Barlas paused, pretending to focus on pouring himself a glass of water while discreetly listening to their conversation. The kitchen staff were discussing the rumors swirling in the village. They spoke of voices claiming to have seen "Chote sai," a nickname more often associated with Barlas rather than his brothers, with the late Bukhari Sahab's daughter Parishè late into the night.

The revelation sent a chill down Barlas's spine. Barlas's realization of the potential fallout from the rumors about being seen with Parishè late at night spurred him into action. With a mixture of concern and a hint of superiority, he immediately turned to the servants in the vicinity.

"Listen carefully," Barlas spoke firmly, his voice carrying a tone of authority and arrogance. "You are paid to work, not to gossip. If I hear even a whisper about this matter being discussed again in the haveli, I won't hesitate to not only fire you but also ensure that you never find employment again."

The servants, taken aback by Barlas's stern warning, nodded nervously, understanding the severity of his words. Barlas's demeanor left no room for doubt about his seriousness in maintaining discretion and preventing further spread of rumors that could tarnish their family's reputation.

Having delivered his message with clarity, Barlas left no room for ambiguity regarding the consequences of any indiscretion. The tense atmosphere in the room lingered as the servants processed the gravity of Barlas's warning, knowing that their livelihoods depended on their ability to adhere to his strict instructions.

------------------------------------

Barlas, freshly showered and dressed for the day, made his way to the dining area for breakfast. As he sat down to eat, his grandfather summoned him to his studio. Barlas could sense the gravity in his grandfather's voice, indicating that this conversation was of utmost importance.

Entering his grandfather's studio, Barlas found the elder man seated behind his desk, his expression serious and inquisitive. Without preamble, his Dada Sai asked him sternly, "What happened at the dera yesterday?"

Barlas took a moment to gather his thoughts before responding. He chose his words carefully, omitting the part about the encounter with the Mirs to avoid further escalating the already tense situation. Instead, he focused on the events that directly involved their family and Parishè.

"We had an unexpected visitor, Dada Sai," Barlas began, his tone respectful yet cautious. "There was a misunderstanding, and emotions ran high. But I assure you, I am handling the situation."

His grandfather scrutinized him with a discerning gaze, clearly expecting more details. Barlas maintained his composure, knowing the importance of being transparent yet mindful of the potential repercussions of revealing certain information.

"I am addressing the issue, Dada Sai " Barlas added, trying to assure his elder of his capabilities and commitment to resolving any conflicts that arose.

His grandfather nodded, acknowledging his words but still retaining a sense of skepticism. "Handle it swiftly and wisely, Barlas," he advised, his tone a mix of authority and concern. "We cannot afford any missteps, especially in these delicate times."