Genesis 45:6

Denn es sind nun zwei Jahre, dass Hungersnot im Lande ist, und sind noch fünf Jahre, dass weder Pflügen noch Ernten sein wird.

Hier haben wir einen kleinen Hinweis um das ganze historisch einzuordnen. Die Brüder müssen also sehr frühzeitig in der Hungersnot nach Ägypten gewandert sein und das schlimme noch bevor steht. 

Die Hungersnot geht also nicht davon aus, dass die Saat nicht fruchtet, sondern dass das Säen gar nicht erst möglich ist. Aber woher soll das denn der Josef wissen? Diese Aussage muss die Brüder überrascht haben. Vielleicht erinnern sie sich an die Träume von ihrem Bruder und sind noch überraschter. 

The note of Joseph's age punctuates a story which began when he was seventeen (37:2) and will reach its climax in another nine years' time (45:6), more than twenty years after the first breach with his brothers. It is comparable with the length of time for Abraham between promise and fulfilment (12:4; 21:5), and for Jacob in the service of Laban (31:41). Each of these delays was fruitful, but no two were alike in form or purpose.

Derek Kidner, Genesis: An Introduction and Commentary, Bd. 1 of Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1967), 209.

This seems to confirm the view given (Ge 41:57) that the famine was caused by an extraordinary drought, which prevented the annual overflowing of the Nile; and of course made the land unfit to receive the seed of Egypt.

Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset, und David Brown, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997), 44.