13

Cassie

Iwoke up the next morning alone in my bed.

At first, there was a wave of disappointment that washed over me, but I quickly reminded myself I was being silly. Of course, he wasn't going to stay the night. He had to get home to Lucy, and I really didn't want it to slip out to my sisters that I had spent the night with him.

I checked my phone, then I got out of bed and showered.

I knew it was going to be awkward moving forward in a professional relationship, and without the glass of wine buzzing in the back of my brain and telling me it wasn't going to be a thing, I was starting to dread Monday morning. Lucy would not know that I had planned to drop by on Saturday, so I decided to skip it. Hopefully, Alex would understand.

I was grateful I had the whole weekend to figure it out.
As I showered, I was more than happy to indulge my thoughts in memories of the night before. The way it felt when Alex kissed me. The way his hands were traveling all over me.

And the way he made me climax so hard.

I blushed to myself at the mere thought of it.

I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around myself, pausing to look in the mirror for a moment.

For the past several years, I had been so busy taking care of everything and everyone else that I hadn't taken the time to do more than just the minimal in my own life. I was happy with my figure, but I felt pulling my hair back and leaving it in its normal ponytail was almost boring.

For the first time in years, I dried my hair and let it lay loose around my shoulders.

It was still very simple, but for me, it was a change that made me feel incredibly sexy. I added my makeup, though I kept that as simple as always. It was such a change for me just having my hair down; I felt like a whole new woman getting dressed and ready for the day.

I made myself a coffee and was just thinking about making breakfast when suddenly my phone buzzed, and my heart leaped to my throat. I hoped it was Alex. In fact, I expected it to be Alex so much that I felt a pang of disappointment when I saw Angela's name on the screen.

Can you meet me in an hour? I need to talk to you about something

I sighed. I wasn't sure what my sister wanted, but if she wanted to talk in person, it was bound to be something that would be a headache for me. Either it would be time off, or she'd be asking me for a cut of her paycheck early.

Considering she had stepped up and watched Lucy last night so Alex could come to talk to me, I had a feeling it was going tobe more along the lines of her asking me to cover for her than her asking me for money, but neither was going to be easy on my end. Not with me watching Lucy full-time and not with the current state of our finances.

Sure. You want to meet at the usual coffee shop?

I knew it wasn't going to be long for her to reply. Knowing Angela, the way I did, she would likely have been staring at her phone as soon as she sent me the message. Sure enough, she quickly confirmed that she would be there, and I agreed.

When I walked into the coffee shop nearly an hour later, Angela eagerly waved me over to the table where she'd been sitting.

"I got you a latte," she said. "Since that's what you normally get."

"Thanks," I said.

"And a donut," she added, nodding to the pastry on the table. "I already ate mine. I tried to wait for you, but you know how I am with sweets."

"So, what's going on?" I asked as I sat in the chair across from her. "I know you well enough to know when there's something up, and something is."

She looked down into her coffee.
Angela?" I prodded.