19

Cassie

Ifelt a little uncertain when I pulled up in front of Alex's house.

I had a long, hard conversation with my two sisters, and they convinced me to come talk to him first thing that morning. I hadn't wanted to make a thing of it, but it was Angela who really pointed out I didn't have much of a choice on that front.

"You're pregnant," she said. "That's sort of a thing."

"She's right," Teresa chimed in. "What are you going to do? Work it into a conversation? Just sort of slip it in as though it's not a big deal?"

"This is a big deal, sis," Angela continued. "It's not like a big, bad thing, but it's a thing. You can't just ignore it, and I would say out of fairness to him, you should give him the decency of going to tell him the truth in person."

"Okay fine," I said. "I just. I don't know. I'm so embarrassed."

"Why?" Angela asked. "You're an adult, and you had sex. That's not embarrassing. Turns out you could wind up getting pregnant from doing it, but that's just the way it is. Nothing to be embarrassed about."

"Fair," I said. "Alright. I'll talk to him."

As I stood in front of his large mansion, however, I wasn't feeling as bold. I had no idea what to say. The fact I was showing up at his place on a Sunday should clue him into the fact that there was something amiss. I wasn't the kind of person who showed up without asking first anyway, and the only reason I'd done so today was because I wanted to make sure I got to talk to him.

As I left my car and walked to the front door, I tried to shake the nerves I felt. I had been to his house so many times in the past, I had no idea why I felt so nervous. Looking around, the place felt foreign for some reason, as though I was an intruder and didn't belong.

I knew that was silly, too.

I had played in this very front yard with Lucy many afternoons, and I had long enjoyed the walks in the neighborhood around here. There wasn't a thing about the place that really ought to be foreign to me. I wasn't a stranger.

But I felt like I had a secret as I walked up toward the door, and while I hoped against hope Alex was going to be happy about the situation, I couldn't shake the feeling there was something bad about to happen. I felt like I was about to get in trouble, and I didn't know what to do with myself.
I stood for only a second while I waited for the courage to knock. Part of me didn't even want to knock, and instead to just walk in. But, even with how close I felt to both Lucy and her father, I wasn't going to intrude on them in that way. I had tobe invited in, and I hoped he wouldn't be angry for both just showing up, and for what I was about to tell him.

After taking a deep breath, I knocked.

It was loud, and I didn't know if my nerves had made me bang on the door harder than I intended or if it was ringing in my ears. Either way, I wasn't ready for the person who opened the door, however, and as soon as I saw her, my mouth went dry.

The girl looked to be close to my age, perhaps a couple of years older. She was, however, incredibly beautiful, and she looked at me with disdain in her features. I tried not to take note of the fact she was wearing one of Alex's dress shirts along with her hair being wet. If she was wearing any shorts under the shirt, I couldn't see them.

And I was struck by how long and lean her legs were. I immediately felt way beneath her league, and I struggled to find anything to say. While I wanted to ask for Alex, the fact she had been bold enough to answer the door told me she must have some kind of authority here. Or why would he have allowed her to be the one to deal with visitors?