୨ chapter twenty-nine ୧

As I walk out of the house, the cold night air hits my face, sobering me up from the chaos inside

As I walk out of the house, the cold night air hits my face, sobering me up from the chaos inside. I know Oliver is hurting, and I can't blame him. Keeping what happened to Elena from him was a mistake, but I thought I was protecting everyone. Clearly, I was wrong.

My mind is racing as I start running.

Where would Oliver go?

There's only one place that comes to mind—the park where we play basketball together every time something goes wrong in our lives since freshman year. It's the place where he always goes to think and to cool off.

Reaching the park, I slow down, scanning the familiar paths. The playground is deserted, and the swings sway gently in the breeze. Then, I see him, sitting on our favorite bench with a basket ball in his hands.

"Oliver," I call out softly. He doesn't look up, but I can see the tension in his shoulders. I sit down beside him, keeping a distance.

"I'm sorry," I begin, my voice almost a whisper. "I  really am, you know? I thought I was doing the right thing by not telling you. I didn't want to cause any more pain."

Oliver finally looks at me, his eyes filled with a mix of anger and hurt.

"What are you doing here?" he asks. "I thought I told you I didn't want to see you."

"You did but we need to talk."

Breaking the silence he finally says:

"You should have told me, Theo. She's my sister. I have a right to know when something happens to her, especially something like this."

"I know," I say, my voice cracking. "I screwed up. I just... I didn't know how to handle it. I didn't want to make things worse. I didn't think it was my place to tell you."

He sighs, running a hand through his hair.

"It's not just about what happened, Theo. It's about trust. You've been my best friend for as long as I can remember. I never thought you'd keep something like this from me."

The weight of his words sinks in. He's right. Trust is the foundation of our friendship, and I shattered it by keeping this secret.

"I know I messed up, and I'll do whatever it takes to make it right," I tell him earnestly. "But you need to know, I took care of her. I made sure she got the help she needed. I forced her to go to therapy, and she's been seeing a professional. I did to her what I thought you would do. I did my best, you have to believe me."

Oliver leans back, staring up at the sky.

"It's going to take time until I forgive you, Theo. But right now, I just need to know that my sister is safe."

"She is," I assure him. "Isa's with her right now, and she won't leave her side. We'll figure this out, all together this time."

For a moment, we sit in silence, the night wrapping around us like a cold blanket. Finally, Oliver nods, a small gesture of acceptance.