The origins of Evil 4

The next day, Wises was peacefully walking around the city with no consequence, enjoying life... and seeking potential new victims, of course. At least, that would have been what he'd do if today wasn't the day for a interesting event to happen: this day, Feng Chang would come in person in London to give a conference. Murderer or not, that was certainly not something Wises wanted to miss, thus he gave the Sage gang the day off, and positionned himself near the place of the conference.

He sat at a cafe and commanded both a tea and a cocktail, ignoring the subtle glances of the waiter as he agitated both, looking at the ripples produced on the surface of the beverages. He first took a sip of tea, then a sip of his cocktail, and frowned slightly:

'Okay... only one at the time from now on' he decided.

He focused back on the ripples, and smiled with satisfaction: each time he saw them calm down and die, it reminded him that he was still there, while his victims were not. That feeling filled him with satiety.

He looked around, and saw that a crowd was starting to form. Realizing it was finally the long-awaited moment, he weaved his way through the crowd, until he could finally see their figure.

The person, relatively short, was wearing a turban with sunglasses, so as no part of their face remained exposed. Contrasting with that was an elegant suit, with a silk necktie.

'Hmm... well, he sure takes a lot of precaution so no one will see his face' Wises thought, amused.

He listened to the conference for a bit, as Feng Chang was plainly answering every question concerning the current Fefnir technology, and a few questions about those that would come too, though most of his answers concerning the future remained vague. He couldn't even know how Feng Chang's voice sounded, as his turban seemed to have a voice modifier integrated. After a moment, Wises decided that the conference was becoming boring, and was about to leave when a particular question was asked:

"Mister... Chang... Feng..." a woman started.

"You can call me Feng Chang"

"... Right. Mister Feng Chang, it is not to miniminze your genius in any way, but how come you invented such a thing as Fefnir technology in such a short period of time, what's the secret behind this accomplishment?" she asked. "When we look back at humanity's history, it wouldn't really be an understatement to say that your invention is amongst the greatest that were and will be, on the same level as writting, language, civilisation, internet, modern technology! Except that all these have been created over the course of several decades at least, centuries for most, and always based on previous discoveries. Yet, in just a few, you came up with this new technology, that defies every principle established before... how did you do such a thing, sir? What's the secret?"

There was a blank in the street, as no one yet had dared to ask this question, though most people craved to know. Everyone, including Wises, thought that Feng Chang would just brush the question off. Surprisingly, though, he answered the question as honestly as could've been demanded:

"Many years prior to now, what we decided to name a Nova beast appeared from nowhere, in a lost province of China" Feng Chang said. "You might think I'm inventing some kind of webnovel story but in fact, this information is already known to the governement of China, Japan, and most of the Nato's member, and will soon be announced to the public. Obviously, I got the permission early-on to divulge this information to the public"

People started to whisper to each other. Wises heard a few suprised exchanges, chuckles, and skeptical voices. He ignored them as he waited for Feng Chang to continue; which he did:

"Nova beasts are a new species, that's completely from everybody that came before. The matter their bodies are made of is entirely different from everything that was seen before, and analysis's long confirmed the presence of diverse debris coming from outside our solar system on it" he said. "Even if, logically, such an advanced creature has no way to be born without an atmosphere like ours. Of course, we can theorize its existence started far away, maybe even in another galaxy, maybe even farther. But then, another question arise: how did it get here?