Chapter 36: Choosing a Side

The city below slumbered as a streak of blue dashed overhead, stirring a few of its inhabitants from their dreams. Idaten, exhausted and feeling as though their very shell was aflame, sped towards the airships. Finally reaching the main vessel, they leaned heavily against the mast, gasping for air. Despite their dizzying fatigue, they mustered the strength to sprint towards Kamek's study, praying he was there.

Navigating the decks with a near stumble, they burst through the door. Kamek, startled from his slumber at the desk, nearly toppled from his chair. After a moment to gather himself, he began to scold Idaten; however, once he got his glasses back in place, he ceased his arguments for they were falling on deaf ears. Literally. The magikoopa stood up, "Idaten! Where have you been?" he signed.

Idaten removed their helmet, reaching into it with trembling hands. With an unsteady gait, they placed a folded note on the desk before collapsing. Rushing to their side, Kamek checked their condition. Idaten was out cold, drained of all energy. Gently, Kamek moved them to a nearby couch.

Turning his attention to the note, Kamek felt a sense of unease despite sensing no dark magic. Steeling himself, he opened it. Inside was a hand-drawn image: Morton, Kamek, and an infant Bowser. The attention to detail was frightening, meaning that whoever drew this had to have seen them up close. Shock washed over him as he noticed the signature at the bottom.

He knew that handwriting anywhere.

"Pops?" A voice broke through his thoughts, and Kamek's tears flowed freely. He turned to see Bowser, standing at the doorway, his snout caked with dried blood. Despite wanting to speak, Kamek trembled in shock. Bowser stepped closer, concern etched on his features. "What's going on?"

»--•--«

Luigi sat on the balcony, a warm drink in his hands and his mind raced a million miles an hour; his dream last night one was one filled with warmth. He remembered hearing a deep, soothing voice whispering sweet nothings in his ear. Red eyes looking at him with love. It was the first time in years that he had a dream, and it had been a gorgeous thing. But the more he thought about it, the more bittersweet it was becoming.

For anxiety was his constant companion.

As much as Luigi wanted to, could he just go and tell Bowser how he felt? For one, he was a king, a sovereign over an entire country. Aren't there protocols they would need to follow? Does and don'ts of dates... Luigi didn't want their relationship to be dictated by rules. He imagined the weight of protocol and expectation pressing down on him, threatening to suffocate any chance of genuine connection...

And what about him? Luigi was, in many ways, just a regular guy. Sure, normal people can't shoot lightning, but his entire family lived under the same roof and worked normal jobs. He got into college not because he was the next Einstein, but because he worked hard enough to earn a scholarship. Luigi chose plumbing as a career! His background was as humble as it could get. Would he even be able to handle the lavish lifestyle that came with dating a king? Could he navigate the mannerisms, the politics, and all that came with it?

Adding to his already frazzled nerves, Luigi wasn't sure how to bring up the fact that he was trans; it was something deeply personal that he wanted to share with Bowser. If the king felt comfortable sharing his past, Luigi wanted to show that he could do the same. Plus, if Bowser did reciprocate his feelings, how would he explain that to Mario?

Luigi shook his head and took a sip of his drink, ignoring the shakiness in his hands. He breathed in deeply, then exhaled. Let's just take one thing at a time. To "uncomplicate" things, as Mario had put it, the best course of action was to just confess and get it over with. Luigi could tackle whatever came afterward. If Bowser said he wasn't ready, Luigi would respect that. But if he accepted his feelings, Luigi would be bouncing off the walls with joy. Plus, Bowser could guide him through anything related to politics. As for Mario, he had promised to be supportive. It might take some time, but he had given Luigi his word.