Is this reality?

You took the next day to plan. Despite both of you wanting to rush in there and demand answers it wasn't safe, the bodies shoved mercilessly into barrels had been clear proof of that. You'd gone over it at least 5 times before boarding the bus back to the hospital.

Yet both of you were still nervous. Kuina more so but you were sure she was also worried about An.

"Explain it again." Kuina asks as you take a seat beside her, you are thankful she had let you take the window seat as it gave you a distraction. "How exactly are we going to get them out?"

"When we get there I'm going to go to Chishiya and tell him everything, you will go to An and do the same but whilst you're there I need you to fake an emergency that will have the doctors concerned enough to rush and help you. You said you had an idea where we could all go. "

"Yeah, just get everyone out to the front and I'll lead us from there. I'm not exactly sure how to cause an emergency but I'll ask An, I'm sure she will have something in mind." She tried to hide it but her body rocked in anticipation as she grew closer to seeing An once more.

"That's a good idea. From there I will alert as many people as possible."

"Will he even be able to walk?" The bus swayed as it went over a bump. "Will you be able to reach everyone if not?"

You'd considered him being bedridden still but hoped that he would at least be able to walk out of the hospital. "I don't know."

She gnawed at her lip. "And we can't take this to the police and let them deal with it?"

"There's no guarantee they will believe us, it will take them weeks if not months to investigate and by then we could all end up dead. It's not a risk I want to take. We get everyone out first, get the story straight and then go to the police."

"I know." She sighs. "I know but I'm worried. This ain't like the borderlands. It was easy then to say it would be over once we completed the cards and went back to our world but it's not over."

You wrapped an arm around her. "I feel it too."

The borderlands weren't the same as this. All of this, whatever it was, was a threat you faced in the real world. It was like the hope you'd had at finding freedom being crushed in front of you as you both realised the 'real' world was just as dangerous.

"We have to get off." Kuina nudged your arm.

You'd missed the bus journey entirely, too caught in your own head to take notice. "Oh."

"Come on." She wrapped her hand around yours as you stepped off the bus, not before thanking the driver. "Are you ready to do this?"

You shook your head. "But I don't have a choice."

"Kill a demon today and face the devil tomorrow." Her words were shaky as she tugged you forward, your steps matching with hers. You walk in silence until the doors come into view and Kuina pulls you both to a stop. Her face is set as she turns and talks to you.  "If I die I need you to tell my mother what happened, I feel bad asking this of you but please take care of her."

"I promise that if anything happens to you I will do all I can for her." You squeeze her pinkie, solidifying your promise to her.

She searched your eyes, smiling only once she found whatever she had been looking for. "Let's get this over with."

You gently squeeze her hand as you step into the building. The receptionist's desk was empty which wasn't a surprise considering this wasn't actually a hospital. You doubted any family members had been contacted about their loved ones being hurt.