Chapter 4

Yes, I did just say wings. My clothing was ripped some, and my wings were sticking out of two slits.

"Oh, crap. How am I supposed to hide this from my parents?"

"I'll help you. Now, the best thing to do is to go in the house before anyone sees you. And hurry."

I rushed into the house, quickly. Thank goodness there wasn't anyone around. But there would be soon. My parents. They weren't here yet, but when they got here, it would be bad. Very bad. I glanced behind me, seeing tail feathers. Dangit. This just got even harder.

"Calm down, Madelyn. We'll figure this out. Do you have any costumes that could cover it?"

"I'm not wearing a costume. I do have one, but I'm not spending the rest of my life in a count Dracula costume."

"Why do you have a cou..."

"It was a dare, alright? I got fifty bucks. And they gave me the costume for free. Sure, I had to spend the entire school day in a costume, but I got fifty bucks."

"What some people do for money."

"Hey! My parents had cut off my allowance and I was broke!"

"We have bigger matters. You should pack a bag, just in case you have to leave."

"Why would I have to le..." It hit me. If my parents found out, I'd have to leave.

"You see now, don't you. But I doubt there's anything we can do."

My phone started to ring, and I picked it up. It was from Trinity.

"Uhm... Madelyn. A little help. I seem to have shifted back with, Uhm..."

"Wings? Me too."

"Can you come over here?" asked Trinity.

"I'll be over quick. Bye."

I hung up the phone, getting an idea.

"Do you think Trinity's family would take me in for a little? They are shifters, after all."

"Perhaps. You do understand that this is a bad situation, right? You can never go out in public again unless you wish to be captured."

"Ashlea, maybe I could tell my parents. And if they try and capture me, I can just fly out the window and go to Trinity's."

"Do you know how dangerous that is, telling your parents? You could die - or worse. You could be experimented on."