Chapter 9

"Uhm... Madelyn?" began Trinity "What just happened?"

"According to Ashlea, I have a power."

"Over healing? But nobody with control over healing could ever heal wounds caused by bronze. It's impossible!"

"Well, the impossible is now possible. I don't know why, and if Ashlea could be bothered to tell me, I'd be a lot happier." I said, hoping she'd take the hint.

"I honestly don't know. I'm as shocked as you. But hey, look on the bright side; at least you're not injured."

"She doesn't know," I explained "But we need to get to that shifter society."

I snatched up my bag, flapping my wings. I moved them quickly, struggling to get into the air. I had only flown twice, and I wasn't that used to it. Heck, I had only found out about this yesterday! I looked over my shoulder, seeing Trinity fly up.

"You ready to go?" she asked, and I nodded. "Then let's go."

I flew straight out of that alley, going up, up, up. The wind blew my hair back, and it was exhilarating. I felt so free, so alive. I took a deep breath, feeling so safe, calm, and relieved. I flapped my wings, moving them to propel myself through the air. I looked to my side, seeing Trinity propel herself up beside me.

"This feels amazing," I commented, facing the wind. My hair moved in ripples behind me. No wonder people have dreamt of flying; it's amazing.

"Isn't it?" I heard Trinity reply "I remember when I first shifted. It was so beautiful. I was actually a little upset that my parents had kept it from me. My parents! I have to go back and rescue them!"

"Trinity," I began "Calm down. Breathe in, breathe out. We'll go and rescue her. I doubt they have headed to your father's work yet. Now, show me where it is, and we'll fly there."

"But they'll see our wings." Trinity pointed out. Right.

"Then we'll be stealthy and sneak in. Now, show me where he is."

Trinity nodded, darting through the air with her powerful wings. Peregrine falcon. Right.

"Wait for me!" I shouted, trying to catch up with her. She stopped for a minute and I flew up next to her.

"Sorry." she apologized.

"Don't be," I replied "You're concerned for your family. That's fine."

Trinity nodded, and I followed her. When I saw her father's work, my jaw dropped.

It was smoldering, fire covering every visible part of the building. Men clad in red shot water at the building, trying to tame the vicious flames. I looked at Trinity, seeing a horrified expression being worn upon her face.