Chapter 34

"B-but how? I mean, how come I never noticed? What exactly did they do to me? How am I supposed to get rid of the tracker? When are they coming?"

My mind was racing with terrified, panicked thoughts. I didn't want to attack the shifters! And I wanted to make peace! For Caspian! How would they brainwash me? Would there be some way to stop it? My heart was pounding, and I looked around. Had they attacked already? Would I need to stay away from the shifters? Would I have to run for my entire life? I needed to get that tracker out!

"Tyler, I need the tracker out. Where is it?"

"I don't know, Madelyn. It wasn't in his mind. Of course, there is a possibility that I skipped over it on accident."

"Then we're heading back to that cage so you can pry into his mind. Let's go."

I turned around in the direction that I had come, and motioned for Tyler to follow. They could be watching me right now. And they definitely knew where I was. I mean, with the tracker, how could they not?

They've been spying on me my entire life. They've experimented on me without me knowing. And for what? To make me into the ultimate weapon. Did I have any say in this? No. Obviously, they don't give a crap about how I feel! I balled my hands into fists, trying to focus just on flapping my wings. I was going to get that stupid tracker out, and I was going to go to that stupid hunter group and give them a piece of my very ticked off mind.

Anger surged through me, and I balled my fists tighter.

"It'll be alright, Madelyn."

"How the heck can you say that? There's so, so much chaos going on! What am I even supposed to do?"

"Hope is a useful asset in the midst of chaos."

"And how would hope help? They want to use me as an ultimate weapon for crying out loud!"

Whatever Ashlea had said next, I didn't hear, because I was focusing on flying. Wind rushed through my hair, and I went faster and faster still. I was going to find out where the heck that tracker was, and I was going to find out how to get rid of it. I was going to honor Caspian's final words.

Then, I saw all the shifters. Everyone was shifted, and everyone was unconscious.

"Dad! Trinity! What happened!" I called out over the wind, coming closer. I looked for the cage made of vines, and it was still there.

Except now, it had a population of zero.

The squirrel shifter was gone. I landed, and I could see some shifters starting to regain consciousness.

"What happened?" I asked "Where did that little idiot go?"