Chapter 18

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. ~Leonardo Da Vinci

___

I sat in my cage, looking out. I kept checking regularly to make sure that the mind-wall was still up. I was going to get out, and get everyone else out. It would just have to wait until night. Under the cover of night, I could easily slip out of the science institute.

"Trinity." I whispered in a soft tone "We're getting out of here. Tonight."

"But how? These cages have locks, you know."

"Remember, I can shift into any bird."

"Right. So, what's the plan?"

"I shift into a hummingbird, get out of the cage, shift back, unlock everyone's cages, we escape."

"And we're doing this tonight?""

I nodded, then went back to thinking. The guards could be patrolling, but I could fly, they couldn't.

"That didn't stop them earlier."

"But if we can make an escape without them seeing, then it won't come to that."

"Good point. And are you sure that this is going to work? That's a lot of unlatching cages, and chances are, it'll be loud."

"I have to do this. I wouldn't have to if I had just told Caspian, but I have to pay the price."

"You speak with determination. And if you're determined, you can do anything. I believe in you, Madelyn."

"Thanks, Ashlea."

"But do be aware that you may have to come back for some of the shifters. But, if you're silent enough, you can get everyone out. Be careful, alright?"

"Alright, I will."

Cold permeated the room, and I wrapped my wings around me. It was freezing, and I had a feeling that it would only become more frigid during the night.

"I might just have to do a snowy owl for some of the time. Those birds are good in cold weather, right?"

"Yeah. And my theory on why they're turning up the cold is to discourage any escape attempts."

"They don't know the determination running through us. We will prevail."

"Indeed. When one's mind is set on something, there's no stopping them. Try and get some rest; I'll wake you up when it's night."