Chapter 31

No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.

-William Blake

_______

"Where's Caspian?" I asked, flying up. Oh no. I was supposed to get him out of the place. Did I leave him behind? My stomach filled with a horrible, guilty feeling, and I trembled fearfully.

"Where's Caspian?" I shouted.

From below, I heard Tyler shout "I saw him limping a little behind us. There were a bunch of bullets in him."

Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no. I flew forward, retracing our path. If he died, it'd be all my fault. I looked around. Then, I saw him. He was in a horrid condition, with bullets covering him all over. He let out weak moans of pain as he laid there on the side of the street.

"I'm coming down there, Caspian. Pain is weakness leaving the body. Use that strength to stay alive! I'll heal you!"

I dived down there, glancing at Caspian. His wounds were enough to make me look away quickly. It was horrible. I tried to stay strong for Caspian.

"Stay still. I'm going to try and heal you."

"No, Madelyn. I can't have you do that."

"Why not? You're the leader of so many shifters; they need you!"

"But I fear that you healing so many wounds at once may push you to the point of death. I can't have that happening. Either I make it through on my own, or I die. I can't let yourself die for me. "

"But Caspian, do you know how much I went through to rescue you?"

At that moment, I heard Stella walk up beside me. Her silvery fur was full of twigs and other things. How much trouble had she gone through to get here? Either way, I was glad that she was here.

"Stella, do you know where the shifters are?"

"Yeah. Should I get them?"

"Yes. Get them here quickly; tell them that Caspian is badly hurt."

She nodded and bounded off.

"Stay awake, Caspian. They shifters need you. Without you, there's nobody to lead them."

"It is not up to me whether I live or die, Madelyn." Blood seeped out of his wounds; not a good sign. "I cannot let you heal me."

Ugh, his stubbornness was going to be his downfall. I paid no attention to his request, and placed my hand over a wound. He batted it off, growling softly.

"Don't, Madelyn."

"I need to heal you! It's my fault we're in this mess, and I'm getting all of us out of it!"