Chapter 8

I turned my head to Trinity and her mom.

"They're here," I whispered.

"Hide." instructed Trinity's mom.

I nodded and got on my hands and knees, crawling behind the couch. I had to scooch the couch forward some, but hopefully nobody would notice. I was laying on my side, and some of my wings peeked out, but I was gonna have to risk in. I pulled my bag closer to me. My hands trembled as I started biting at my nails.

"Calm down, Madelyn."

"I am calm. Fine, I'm kidding. How the heck am I supposed to be calm? What is this calm you speak of?"

"Just try to relax."

"How am I supposed to relax? People are invading!"

"Be ca..."

She was cut off by the sound of arguing.

"Hand me the taser, David!" I heard a voice shout.

Then, in a loud whisper, Trinity's mom said something. "Behind the dresser, there's an escape route. You two go; I'll fight them off."

"But they have a taser." I informed "You can't just go out there!'

"I'm taking a risk for your safety. Plus, I'm strong enough to fight them off. Grab your things and go!"

I crawled out from behind the couch and moved the dresser aside. Well, with the help of Trinity's mom.

"Go. And Madelyn, there's a first aid kit with medicines, ointments, and bandages in it. Be sure to take care of your wing. I'll catch up with you two."

Trinity and I both nodded, and she went into the tunnel first. I followed her, and darkness encased us as Trinity's mom put the dresser back in its original position.

I waited, listening for the sound of the men. All was quiet until a voice broke the silence.

"Where are the girls with wings?"

I knew that it was Trinity's mom who spoke next. "I'll never tell!"

"Oh, but that implies that you know, doesn't it? Surely a pretty woman like yourself would hate to be tased, isn't that right? Tell me where the girls are."

"Your empty threats don't frighten me."

"Oh, but we both know that's a lie."

Silence.