Chapter 7

I listened in to the conversation between Trinity and her mom.

"Someone caught us on video," explained Trinity "It was on the news. What do we do?"

There was a long period of silence. Well, just for me. Trinity's mom was talking to Trinity, but I couldn't hear."

"I'll tell Madelyn. When will you be home?"

Silence. Then, "I'll see you then, bye."

Trinity hung up, then looked at me.

"Get some food and your bag. Then head to the basement."

"Your house has a basement?" I asked.

"Yes. Now go. My mom will be home soon, and we don't know when they'll get there. And the people searching for us might've traced our call. I don't know. But get your stuff and head down to the basement."

I nodded, my heart beating fast. I had a good enough sense to know what would happen if I didn't hide. I ran to my room, quickly grabbed my bag, and dashed to the kitchen. What will last long, I asked myself.

"Rice. There's also honey and sugar."

"I'm not gonna live off of honey, rice, and sugar. And besides, how would I cook the rice?"

"You could make a fire."

I sighed. "Fine."

I grabbed a box, placing it into a bag, along with a couple of chocolate chip granola bars. I didn't know how long it would last, and I didn't care. Hey, just because we're gonna be on the run doesn't mean that I can't have my chocolate.

"It won't last long. Granola can spoil."

"Well, I want chocolate."

I spotted a box of pop-tarts.

"And these too."

I shoved the box in my bag.

"Plus, you're going to teach me how to hunt, correct?"

"I am. Just head to the living room so Trinity can show you where the basement."

I walked to the living room, my pace fast.

"You ready?" asked Trinity.

I nodded.

"Follow me."