Chapter 23

"Tyler!" I shouted, anger flooding my veins "Trinity's still trapped in there! She could be killed! We have to go back!"

"It's too risky. Trinity said she'd be willing to sacrifice herself for you, and she did."

"But what if she's killed!" I demanded.

"Then she'll die protecting you!"

"You really are soulless, aren't you?"

"Soulless, no. Caring about my staying alive, yes."

"But she's trapped there! She's my best friend!"

"Then go back there if you want." he said, stopping the car jerkily "Go, get out. Let both of your lives go to waste."

Oh, that little -

"No swearing, Madelyn." he said.

"Looks like he broke down the mental wall."

"Looks like I did. So, are you going or can I keep driving?"

What was I supposed to do; leave my best friend behind?

"You can." said Tyler. Ugh, that little mind reading maniac. "And be nice, Madelyn. I don't particularly like being called a maniac."

"Well, maybe if you stopped GETTING INTO MY MIND, I'd stop it. And two, I don't particuarlly like having my best friend STUCK IN SOME HUNTER'S BASE, BUT HERE WE ARE!"

I threw my hands up in frustration, which hit the top of the car. I sighed. "So please, cut me some slack."

"Do you even know what it's like, Madelyn? I've been running from those hunters all my life. Do you know how hard it is living in constant fear? They killed my family, and I barely escaped alive! Do you know how hard it is, living with the guilt that you could've saved your family, but were too much of a coward to do it?"

"Actually, I do. The whole reason the shifter village burned is because of me! Their leader was captured by the scientists because I didn't tell him that they knew where we were! I was a coward, and others suffered because of it. And you want to know how I got captured? My own father took me from the lab to their little center. Do you even know what I've gone through these past few days? I acoknoledge that you've had a hard like, but aren't you used to it? I've just become a shifter a week or two ago! All of this stress and pain was thrown onto me, just like that! So if we're talking about hard stuff going on, go and make me the queen of it!"

"Calm down, Madelyn." he said as he started driving again.

"How can I even be calm? All of this happened to me and I don't know what to do. Trinity was with me through this, and if I lost my best friend, I don't know what I'd do!"