Chapter 37

I awoke, and all the memories of the previous events rushed back to me. Then, I realized the restraints. I was chained to the wall, and when I tried to get free, the bronze cuffs chaffed at my wrists, bringing a horrible stinging with it.

The room was completely white. When I say that, I mean pretty much everything. Other than myself, everything was white. It was a change from the woods I had lived in for the past month now. I could hear ominous sounding footsteps, and my dread grew as the footsteps came closer. A man clad entirely in white stepped in. I sent him an angry glare, and he smirked.

"Oh, is the little tweety bird upset?"

"Okay, now I see how that had offended you."

"Yes, but we have bigger problems right now."

I stared the man down. "As a matter of fact, yes, yes I am upset. But you can fix that by bringing the squirrel shifter to me, bringing Tyler to me, and letting us out of this place!"

"Like I'd do that. Now, it's time for you to learn a few things, and undergo a mental transformation."

Like brainwashing? As if I didn't know what he was trying to do.

"Oh shut the heck up," I fired back, my voice trembling a little "I will not be brainwashed, especially by someone as low as you!"

"We are not 'the bad guys', Madelyn. The shifters are, and they've tricked you. They've lulled you into a false sense of security, Madelyn, and they've brainwashed you in a way. We're the right side, Madelyn."

"Don't trust him, Madelyn. It's part of the brainwashing method. Don't believe a word he says."

"Wasn't planning on it. Thanks to my sixth-grade obsession with hypnosis and other stuff like it, I know exactly what he's trying to do."

"And even if you hadn't, I'd still be able to explain it."

The man spoke again. "You are not who you think you are. Your friends are not who you think they are. You are fighting on the wrong side."

"No I'm not! I'm fighting on the right side, and there's nothing you can do to change that!" I fired back, anger surging through my veins. I tried to pull out of the restraints, but there was something on them that caused my wrists to feel burnt.

"You are not who you think you are. You are not a soldier for good. You are not who you think you are."

I felt anger flood me, and my hands clenched into fists. It was all I could do not to create Swear-fest 2015.

"I know just who I am. And if you think that what you say can change that, then you're wrong. You're a stupid little idiot."

His face twisted into a display of anger. Then, after a second or two, it reverted back to the usual blank stare that most of the hunters had. I had to stop myself from grinning.