Family (Beronica)

Betty's POV

I loved my sister. She was always my best friend. We grew up together and never left each others sides. When I was hurt, Polly would do everything to calm me down by singing songs or telling me everything was going to be okay. But one day.. I blinked, and she was gone

Alice- "Betty, we need to talk" Betty- (sniffles) "what more can there be?" Alice- "I have to go away" Betty- "what?! Why?!" Alice- "because, I can't be here Betty. I'm going to L.A to stay with your aunt until farther notice" Betty- (in tears) "but what about me?" Alice- "you have to stay here and take over the register" Betty- (cries) "b-but I'm supposed to go to Yale in the fall, a-and I have the last few weeks of school" Alice- "I'm sorry sweetheart, but you done have a choice"

My life was falling apart. I didn't have the one person I could count on and my mom was leaving me. I didn't even think of the worst part. Polly's twin girls. They were eighteen months old and they were the sweetest little girls, and now I was going to have to take care of them

I grabbed my pillow and started crying again. Everything was breaking down all at once and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

A couple days later it became real, I was watching my mother drive away while I was holding two little girls in my arms. Maia and Minnie were the sweetest babies you would ever meet but even though they were less than two years old, they knew things were different

Minnie- (cries) "gammy!" Betty- (sniffles) "I know baby, but we're gonna be okay" I kissed the top of her head before I took the babies inside. Minnie didn't stop crying so I tried to soothe her but nothing was working. It was going to be a couple of very long years.

Betty- (softly) "Minnie please stop crying, you've been at it for two hours" Minnie- (sobs) "mama!" I sighed and kept bouncing her in my arms

I was trying to calm her down when I heard a knock on the door. I sighed and walked to the door. I opened it and saw Veronica standing there holding my cheer uniform. Veronica- "Be? What's going on?" Betty- (sighs) "sorry Ve, I didn't meant to leave that last time I was over" Veronica- "I don't care about that right now, are you babysitting? Do you need help?"

I started tearing up before stepping out of the doorway so she could come in. She set my uniform down before taking Minnie out of my arms. Veronica- "girl what happened? Why won't she stop crying?" Betty- (cries) "M-My mom left" Veronica- "what?! Are you serious?!"

I nodded as she was finally able to calm Minnie down. She fell asleep on her shoulder and I was finally given a second of peace. Veronica- "I'll go put her down, then we can talk" she rubbed my shoulder before taking Minnie to her room where Maia was already sleeping.

Veronica- "so your mom left? Where did she go? And how could she leave you alone with two babies when you haven't even graduated high school yet" Betty- (sighs) "I don't know, but I can't leave them. What am I supposed to do" Veronica- "you're in an impossible situation, but if you know me, you know that solving impossible situations are my specialty" Betty- "I wish you the best in solving this one Ve, I can't go to school, now or in the fall. Plus I also have to deal with the register"

I put my head in my hands as she rubbed my shoulder. Veronica- "I have never run into a problem I couldn't fix, it's all going to be okay" she wrapped her arms around me. I cried into her shoulder as she stroked my hair.

Veronica was always and the only person I would let into my head. I'd tell her every thought that I would think so she knew me better than I knew myself. Veronica- "Be, I know it's hard. Which is why I'm going to help you. You three need me so what we're going to do is move in, and in the summer we'll move into an apartment near Yale so you can go to school" Betty- (sniffles) "Ve, you know I can't ask that of you" Veronica- (smiles) "then it's a good thing you're not, I'm telling you"