THE WITCH'S CANVAS

THE WITCH’S CANVAS

Everyone has a creative imagination, mostly when you are imagining a life filled with non-existing fantasy. It is like a clear and picturesque of painting in a canvas, full of life and beauty that can mesmerize the non-painters of art. They are sometimes desperate to have that kind of art in their room, in their house or place because of miscellaneous meanings they have seen while looking at the painting.

Everyone can have their own art just by using your own imagination. That’s what I realized while painting a new art on this canvas that I bought from a nearby art shop.

I cannot call myself as professional painter, mostly when it comes to art. I have this perspective that art doesn’t have a mistake. No matter how it shapes, colors—or even looks like, it is still a piece and a product of your effort. After graduating college, I spent my time in art and selling them in online site. It became my work since then.

“Mister Pevington, do you have any canvas left? I badly need it for my last art. I’m going to submit the painting next month for our art competition,” I asked quickly while holding the high wooden countertop, after I entered his small shop which was followed by a repeated clang of bell hanging above the door.

Mister Pevington shot a glance to me while holding a vintage-style of cup, wiping its every corner by a white piece of cloth. He’s stepping on a not-so-tall wooden ladder that has enough height to reach the tall old drawer above. It’s almost located near at the ceiling of his shop.

His shop is full of antiques and boxes of art materials. Some of it are his own products, definitely made by him. Bukod kasi sa nagtitinda siya ng mga bagay para sa sining ay kumukolekta rin siya ng mga lumang kagamitan kagaya ng mga antigo.  Kadalasan ay binibili niya pa ito mula sa mga antique shop sa murang halaga at minsan ay nagsasagawa siya ng palitan sa kapuwa-negosiyante. Iyon ang kaniyang buhay at bumubuhay sa kaniya.

This wrinkled old man that almost looks fragile because of his age, is living alone in his life. He doesn’t have a family and even a child. No one is taking care of him and his small business that’s why sometimes, I’m bringing a food as my gratitude for lowering the prices of his products whenever I’m buying something in his shop. He is also selling a framed scenery paintings.

“Pasensiya ka na, ihja, ubos na ang canvas para sa pagpinta. Hindi pa ako nakabili ng bagong supply,” the old man answered while looking at me apologetically.

I smiled at him in return but my eyes landed at the beige empty canvas that was placed on a metal, black easel. But the thing that caught my attention was the different symbols imprinted all around the easel. The color of painting canvas is an addition to the vintage style of material.

“But you seem have something left in your shop, Mister Pevington. Why don’t you sell that painting canvas to me?” tanong ko sa kaniya habang nakatingin sa canvas na nakalagay lamang sa gilid, malapit sa mga antigo at iba pang lumang kagamitan.

Lumunok ang matanda ng isang beses at alinlangan itong tumingin sa akin. Iniwas agad nito ang kaniyang mga mata mula sa kuryos kong mukha sa kambas na ginagamit sa pagpipinta. Napakamot naman ng ituktok ng ulo ang matanda bago ito tumingin sa akin ulit.

Ano ang problema? Mahalagang antigo ba ang kambas na iyon?

“Well, that one is not available. That’s not for sale,” he answered.

“I will pay double,” I desperately said. I don’t know why the painting canvas placed with other antiques, caught my attention but it really seems different and unique. Bagay na bagay kasi ang tema ng kambas na iyon para sa pinapagawa sa akin. I was tasked to paint an armored man with fierce presence. The background? Of course, that will be a palace. The setting is autumn or fall.