devotion.

being a hero was a meaningful, if not essential occupation, but izuku didn't see it that way. his job was a perpetual cycle of doing meaningless things with a small sight of actual hero work once in a blue moon. he wanted to help, but he was never involved when it was important. if there was a fire in his jurisdiction, or a cat in the tree, it was something for him to handle, but most of the high priority crimes were saved for more famous, and well liked, pro heroes. and izuku knew exactly why.

   money and fame were too important in the hero society. people would agree with villains getting beaten beyond repair if their favorite hero was doing it. izuku patrolled to make a difference. he didn't want to do what police were doing. he wanted to prevent deaths. he didn't want to just be presence to make people feel safe. he wanted to save people to make them actually safe.

   izuku snapped out of his daze when he saw you from across the street. he watched you stomp along the pavement and grumble at the man following behind you.

you wanted to see if you could find izuku but with dabi in tow, you absolutely changed your plans.

"good ole doom and gloom." he put his arm around your shoulder.

"i'm not gloomy." you groaned.

dabi meant well. he was obviously trying to lift your spirits. when he was around, he seemed to be more protective of you.

"look, blue. the hero that you scowl at on tv is watching you over there." he grabbed your face and turned your head towards his direction. you didn't comment. you only turned away and shrugged him off.

izuku was next to you in an instant. he scanned you, checking for any injuries or signs of distress. he was bleeding jealousy and worry. suddenly, dabi knew exactly what was going on.

"what the fuck, y/n? are you fucking a hero?" he said shocked.

or so he thought.

"hey. don't talk to her like that." izuku scowled pushing you behind him. dabi laughed of course.

dabi liked to poke and prod. he liked to see just how far he could push someone. tensions were definitely rising.

"she doesn't need you to fight for her. when she needed you to, i assume you didnt." he retorted. the second sentence sounding more like a question.

izuku visibly powered up. you figured were about to have to step in.

"you're right," he calmed down, realized that he could freak you out.

"you're right and i want to make up for it. i really honestly care about her." izuku said apologetically. izuku assumed that you and dabi might possibly be siblings somehow. dabi had white roots peeking out of his freshly dyed hair. your hair seemed to coordinate.

"i love to be right. howd you know?" dabi laughed and ruffled izuku's hair.

izuku wanted to contest, but he also cared what your family may think of him, so he stood and smiled stiffly as dabi laughed. you just watched the strange scene unfold.

"i like him, blue." dabi smiled at you with his arm around izuku's shoulder.

"we're just friends, idiot." you spat.

"dabi, thank you for approving of me. i will never hurt her again, i swear. when can i meet the rest of the family?" izuku asked dabi, completely ignoring what you said.

"you two are insufferable together," you groaned.