chapter120

Chapter 120

Taehyung placed his phone on the table.

His mouth suddenly felt dry, so he picked up the bowl of soup that ye-jun had passed him. Ye-jun knocked on the table, then said,

“Hey! Do you two think we don’t know you’re secretly texting each other right now?”

Taehyung was afraid that Jungkook would blurt out something shocking, so he quickly said, “We’re both full now, so we’re heading home!”

“Sure! We’re full too,” Ye-jun teased. “Full from watching your PDA!”

Mrs. Jeon heard the news of the assassination attempt on Jungkook and rushed through the night to the Jeon mansion.

Her face turned cold at the sight of Taehyung.

“When Mr. Jeon was about to get hit by the car earlier, Miss Tae threw himself at him and wrapped him in his arms!”

The bodyguard had witnessed the entire scene and felt obligated to report what he saw to Jenna.

“If I hadn’t shot its tires, the car would have crashed right into them. Miss Taehyung would have been crushed to a pulp and died on the spot. However, him shielding Mr. Jeon might have actually given him a chance at survival.”

Bloody images flashed into Jenna's mind as she listened to the bodyguard’s description of that night’s events.

“We haven’t had dinner yet, Mother,” Jungkook said. “We’re going to get something to eat.”

“Oh… Hurry up and eat, then! I’ll leave in a bit.”

All of the resentment that Jenna had felt for Taehyung slowly vanished.

It was during the most dangerous of moments that someone could determine if another ‘person was genuine or not.

Taehyung had thrown himself in harm’s way without hesitation; all to protect Jungkook.

If that courage was not born out of love, then what else could it possibly be? Jungkook and Taehyung emerged from the dining room after dinner.

Taehyung was about to return to his room when Jenna spoke to him.

“I know how to distinguish right from wrong, Taehyung. Thank you for tonight,” Jenna said. She rose from the couch and stood before Taehyung. “Let’s leave our grievances behind. I won’t give you trouble as long as you’re true to Jungkook. He is my son, and I only hope for the best for him.”

Taehyung was not used to the sudden change in her demeanor.

After a moment of stunned silence, he said, “It’s late… You should go home and get some rest!”

Jenna nodded, then said, “Both of you get some rest, too.”

Once Jenna left the room, the living room faded into silence.

Taehyung felt like hjs feet were glued to the ground.

He was too embarrassed to go up to the second floor with Jungkook, but how was he supposed to come up with an excuse that would allow him to leave?

He had already told him that his birthday wish was for him to come home with him. Which he still can't believe to. But he's sooo happy to know.

Would he not be disappointed if he left now?

“I took all of my clothes with me when I left last time”

“You can wear some of mine for now,” Jungkook interrupted before Taehyung could finish his sentence. “Change out of the clothes you’re wearing now. They’ll be washed and dried by the morning.”

Taehyung pursed his lips as his mind went blank.

“You don’t want to?” asked Jungkook as he fixed his deep eyes on him. “It’s fine if you want to go back to your mother’s place. I’ll get the driver to take you.”

Taehyung was speechless.

Setting aside his willingness, or lack thereof, he could tell from Jungkook's tone that he was upset.

Suddenly, Mrs. Min appeared out of nowhere and said, “You left behind a set of clothes before, Tae. Let me get it for you.”

This time, Taehyung had run out of excuses to leave.

After Mrs. Min walked away, Taehyung went behind Jungkook and wheeled him toward the elevator. “It’s your birthday today. You can’t get mad on your birthday,” he said, trying to reason with him.

“I’m not mad,” Jungkook responded in a calm voice. “I just didn’t want to force you.” he said softly.

“It’s not that… It’s just…”

“What is it?”

“I left with such confidence and pizzazz before, but here I am again a few days later. It just feels a little bit like a slap in the face.”

“I was not there the last time you left. Your return should be more like a slap in my face, not a slap in yours,” said Jungkook.

Taehyung felt a little better, then asked, “Who helps you wash up at night? Is it still the nurse from before?” feeling slightly jealous.

When the elevator arrived on the second floor, Jungkook lifted his gaze and looked at Taehyung with a spark of curiosity in his eyes.