I Cannot Dream, I Cannot Sleep Tonight

-Patrick's Pov-

I woke up in the emergency room.

"Hello, Mr. Wentz, I'm Nurse Emma. You seem to be suffering from dehydration, starvation, alcohol poisoning, sleep deprivation, and you have a deep gash on your cheek that will require stitches. We're going to keep you over night, give you some stuff and run some tests. Is that okay with you?"

I stared at the wall. Was she speaking to me? Who cares what happens to me. Why would it matter?

"I don't deserve to live. Just let me fucking die." I whispered, thinking about my words carefully before they left my mouth, meaning every syllable.

"Mr. Wentz, I highly recommend you take our treatment, or we can give it to you against your will, you choose."

"Fuck off bitch." I said through gritted teeth.

"Okay, you asked for it." She pulled a needle out and swiftly placed it in my arm, and I slowly blacked out.

...

"When will he wake up?" Someone asked. I think it was Joe.

"Soon." Emma said.

I opened my eyes, and looked around the room.

"Hey buddy, how you feeling?" Joe said kindly.

"Well, considering my husband is dead, splendid!"

Joe looked over at Andy, and then down at the floor.

"What?" I said loudly.

"Well, while you were out, Detective Jones called and told us that the blood they found was actually a dogs blood, and the hair was cat hair..."

Is this supposed to be good or bad news?

In a sense it could be good. Pete might be alive somewhere. Being tortured? Probably. On the brink of death? There's a chance.

But bad...he could be on the side of the road somewhere. His body could be floating in the ocean, being eaten by fish. I could be receiving random body parts in the mail any day now.

Andy and Joe looked at me, waiting for a reaction, something I could not give them because I don't feel anything right now.

I don't want to feel anything right now. I want to go home, open up a bottle of whiskey and then another.

"I think I need to go home now." I said, staring off into the distance.

"Okay, we'll get you out of here."

An hour later, I was in my bed hugging Pete's pillow, falling into a dreamless sleep.