Chapter 9.

*****

I walked through school and for once the hallway was filled. Usually I got to school incredibly early so I wouldn't have to be around anyone giving me weird, questioning or disgusted stares, but I had had a run-in with my mom in the morning resulting in me leaving two hours later and I actually had to take the bus to school to be on time. Usually, I took an incredibly slow walk.

Making y way through the hall, I kept my head down feeling eyes on me, even though I knew they couldn't see my face or anything else I felt like they knew and I felt like they all thought I was pathetic. They were probably calling me names...

"Hannah!" I cringed hearing Damien call out and suddenly every single pair of eyes in the hall was pinned to me.

I didn't stop walking and I didn't turn around, if anything, I began to walk faster.

"Hannah, wait up!" Rick called.

"I know you hear us, 'Jes'!" Damien called. I felt a small smile on my face remembering the name I had used to lie to him. The smile fell when I realised they remembered too. Crap.

I heard whispers around me from people wondering why the hell Damien King and Rick Carter were calling me. I wasn't worth their time, and everyone knew that.

"Geez - Hannah, wait." I froze as a hand grabbed mine before Damien and Rick stepped in front of me blocking my path. I heard gasps and - following one of the gasper's eyes - quickly pulled my hand from Damien's and stuck it into my pocket. I stepped back from the boys cautiously. Were they mad I had lied to them? They didn't sound like it, but I couldn't be sure, right? "You just left -" Damien began.

"You went out with HER?" A random girl said shocked.

I stepped back self-consciously. I felt so exposed like my hoodie wasn't even there and I hated it. I didn't like being the centre of attention and I hated how everyone was glaring at me and muttering about how I wasn't good enough for either of the two guys before me. I knew I wasn't, I didn't need everyone saying it.

"No," Rick replied rolling his eyes. "Why did you lie to us?" He looked at me.

"'Cause she's a creep." I felt my heart pound harder as some chuckles broke out at some guy's answer while some other people asked what I lied about.

I felt tears in my eyes feeling the sea amount of cornered I felt when I was with my mom and Gerald. I stepped back deciding that I needed to get away from them as fast as possible.

"Hannah, I -" Damien began.

"What is going on here?" Everyone's heads turned away from us upon hearing Mr Creed's voice and people immediately began to make their ways to class.

I glanced behind Rick and Damien to see Mr Creed and the soccer coach/ History teacher - Mr Crawford - standing in the hall looking at us questioningly.

"Nothing, Sir." Rick's voice had my eyes lifting to him. He was staring at me questioningly. I looked at Damien to see him staring at me intently, his eyes mirroring the look he had when he said e recognised my voice, like he was trying to figure something out. I instinctively lifted my hand to my wrist but forced my hand back down halfway towards it. He couldn't know... He didn't know, I was being stupid. But if he did know, maybe he would just leave me alone.

"Y-yeah." He cleared his throat not looking away from me, "We were just talking." He added.

I nodded as the two teachers' eyes fell on me.