Chapter 42.

*****

I heard the sound of faint beeping, some distant voices, feet shuffling and horns. I didn't move, instead trying to figure out where all of the sounds came from until I realised it must be cars and people walking around.

I sucked in a breath as I tried to open my eyes but immediately shut them tightly again when they were met by bright light before I began blinking slowly until my sight adjusted to the light and the blur had cleared. I ran my eyes from the light above me to the white walls that surrounded the room I was in. I looked at the curtain-covered window, it seemed dark outside, my eyes tilted to the little machine that had been beeping and followed the cord all the way to my wrist. I lifted my hand to inspect the needle going into it before looking at my other arm and squinted my eyes seeing that there was no cast on it, just a scar where they had fixed my arm.

Hospital. How had I ended up in there? I felt my stomach turn nervously. Was it school? If it was Gerard and my mother were going to be so pissed...

I tried to remember what happened but seemed to only remember fuzzy details and trying to figure it out was making my head hurt. I tried to stay calm as I sat up but let out a light hiss when pain stung through my knee.

My eyes snapped across the room as I heard a groan that was followed by a yawn. I watched the black-haired guy stir awake and almost laughed realising who it was. Lyle. My smile fell when he rubbed his eyes, which were surrounded by dark circles. His hair was a mess, his clothing looked bad and everything that happened came back to me. I felt myself freeze as I played the last few seconds in my mind.

Where was Damien?

"Oh my God –" My attention was drawn back to my brother when he hurried over to me. Before I could say anything his arms were wrapped around my shoulders so tightly I couldn't breathe, "Oh my God. You're awake. You're awake." He pulled away and my eyes widened at the tears in his eyes as they ran over my face. His hands grabbed the sides of my face and kissed my forehead before he grinned, "You're awake – I-I was so scared – They said, and I thought... but you're awake!" I was brought back into a crushing hug as he let out what sounded like a sob.

I smiled shutting my eyes as I leaned my head against him. He seemed to compose himself after a few more minutes and pulled back, still smiling. His smile dropped as I winced when his fingers ran over a spot on my head.

"Sorry – just checking. Here –" He said as he handed me a glass of water. I drank it slowly before I spoke.

"How... How long have I been asleep...?" My voice sounded a little weird and groggy.

"Three weeks." He looked afraid before it washed away as a smile crossed his face that didn't quite reach his eyes and I felt my heart sink, "But you're awake..." he whispered.

"W-where's Damien?" I was almost afraid to ask. He smiled.

"Your concussion was worse than his, he's fine. He was out for about a day... The uh... the drugs affected your situation..." He drifted.