Coming out

CHAPTER 1

Ashley was tired. She had started early, checking the fences at the farm and needed at least another hour to be aware of her senses. It wasn't easy growing up in the town of Hope. At least for her it wasn't.

When all the girls were developing crushes and feelings for the boys in their classes, Ashley was just confused. She didn't understand why the girls were so attracted to the boys around them. She had always felt that way. While the girls in elementary school giggled watching the boys around them rough house to impress them with their strength, Ashley was just repulsed. She didn't like their short hair, she didn't like their smelly nature, she didn't like their lanky bodies. She didn't understand why anyone did. It almost felt like there was a secret that everyone was in on except her. She wanted to understand, to be like everyone else, but she just wasn't.

Then on the first day of eighth grade she was walking down the hall when she ran into a girl that literally knocked the breath out of her. Both falling over dropping their notebooks, were two girls that would change the fate of their world and it started in that moment. When they both were rushing out apologies they had failed to recognize each others voices. So when Ashley looked up, her breath caught in her throat as everything she never felt for a boy came rushing to her. Her heart sped up and she suddenly felt nervous, mainly because this beautiful girl was just stunning. She had rich chestnut hair that reached past her shoulders almost to her waist. Her face was heart shaped, and had the most vibrant blue eyes she had ever only seen on one person.... Emmaline Holmes.

"Emma?" Ashley stuttered. Her face felt flushed and suddenly she wished the ground would swallow her up.

"I'm so sorry Ashley I wasn't looking where I was going," Emma blurted out, face blushing in embarrassment.

They both were picking up their fallen papers, when their fingers brushed. Both their hands shot back towards their bodies, as their faces turned a bright red. "Its okay Em it was an accident ", assured Ashley.

Emma's face visibly relaxed. It was always difficult around each other with the tension between their families but there was no animosity held between the two. They were both always polite to each other despite their surroundings. But they both preferred it when they had no one watching them.

They both knew they would have been friends, had it not been for Emma's father. As they hurried to stand up, both noticed that neither had seized to watch the other."Are you sure you're okay Ashley?" asked Emma.

Ashley furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and replied "Of course Em, I'm fine why'd you ask?"

Emma looked down, her face a little red as she answered, "Well, you've been staring for a while and I thought maybe something was wrong?"

Ashley chuckled at Emma's boldness despite her normally shy nature.

"Do you want me to be honest?" asked Ashley. Emma nodded, relieved that she hadn't offended the girl, but braced herself for an insult that may come her way.

"The truth is Emma, it just really hit me how beautiful you are. Don't get me wrong, you've always been beautiful, its just... I was a little stunned at how much you've grown for a minute and couldn't help but stare."

By the time she had finished talking, she had realized just how honest she had gotten, it made her blush and look to the floor, afraid of the girls reaction. After a moment of silence, a hand gently held her own , Ashley looked up to see Emma had moved closer to her, while still holding her hand.

"Thank you, Ashley.... It means a lot coming from you. The boys call me a lot of things like pretty, sometimes even hot, but I've never been called beautiful before." Emma replied shyly. To this day Ashley couldn't have told you why she did it, even now when she looks back on that day that started it all, she can't find it in herself to regret a single moment.