"LOVE THY NEIGHBOR"

The stands were filled with students and a number of towns people that had heard Ashley Riley, and her misfit friends were trying out for the football team. It was something no one was going to miss. The mayor, Reverend Masters and Coach Brock all stood arrogantly on the field awaiting for their show down, confident in their  ability to get what they want. Chris Master and his friends stood looking smug, despite his earlier humiliation. This town had a lot of pride when it came to football, despite having a team that only won a handful of games a year, they were always rowdy and supportive. Meg stood on the sidelines with her father worried. The FFA's people had yet to show up and she was starting to feel the tension in the air. A few minutes later Ash and her group were walking towards the line of men with smiles on their faces. They were happy with the turn out, the more to witness this fight the better. She needed them to see change with their very eye's.

"Hello Coach Brock we'd like to tryout." Ash said gesturing at her  brother, Helen and Lauren.The crowd in the stands grew silent awaiting their answer. Ash could see Emma looking at her near the field in worry and she sent her a reassuring smile.  

"I'm sorry ladies but we don't have girls on our team." He snickered, causing the Mayor, Reverend and Chris to smirk.

"And why is that?" asked Ashley curiously

"Girls cant play football. We have cheer, your welcome to try out for that. I'm sure you wouldn't want to get hurt now would ya?" stated Reverend Masters with a smile.

"Really, is that the Lords stance on that reverend?" Said Ash.

"Of course not! Why would you ask such a stupid question?" Laughed Reverend Masters. The men in the group started to laugh heartily.

Ash tapped her chin thoughtfully as she answered, "Well, I'm just curious because I didn't know that as Reverend, you had any standing in a public school. I believe it was years ago that church and state was separated. So really your opinion isn't warranted or needed here. Now I'm sure you boys are aware that to deny us, is against Federal law. Unless you men can give a valid reason as to why a woman cant play." Ash ended with a smile.

At this the Reverend grew red with rage, he took a step forward and the Mayor had to grab his arm telling him to let him handle this.

"Now ladies we don't want any trouble, we just want you to understand girls just cant play football. You understand where were coming from don't you? You'll just get hurt. Girls are just, not as strong as boys, its not your fault, its just how the good Lord created us." Said the Mayor.

"Well, if that were true, Chris would have left me for dead again, instead of gasping for air like a fish out of water today at lunch. But to be safe, why don't we ask the actual Health professional." asked Ash.

The coach and Mayor nodded their agreement excited. They all turned to Meg and awaited her deliberation.

"you're asking my medical opinion?" she asked nicely

"Of course honey, we know you went to school for this. You would know the answer." said her father, the reverend and coach nodded in agreement.

"Well my Stanford Medical opinion, is that there is no reason what so ever that denies these girls the right to play football. The Harvard Medical journal dictates that they are just as capable as men, and actually statistically better in some positions. There's already female players around the country playing, and some even had a good hand in wining stat titles." She said smugly.

"She would say that! She's a woman, her opinion isn't worth the dirt on my shoes!" screamed Reverend Masters before the Mayor could stop him.

Meg took a step toward the three men as she eyed them dangerously. "Oh so when you think I'll give you the opinion that is yours, you want my opinion, but if I had my own professional  opinion it means nothing! I was smarter and worked harder to get into one of the top schools in the country while the three of you settled for community college, if anyone's opinion matters, it is mine! You asked a medical question which is my domain not yours, you want yours to matter then turn back the clock and actually work hard instead of coasting your whole college career." she shouted angrily.