I'm not alone

Almost 4 years later....

"Get up Fag!"

As Ashley laid there receiving another kick to her ribs, his words echoed in her head as she felt a crack. The pain was almost blinding as she felt blood bubble up in her throat. Her lungs felt like they were being stabbed by knives with every ragged breath she took. A boot connected with her face as she felt and heard another crack. A loud cry filled the hallway as familiar voices were pounding in her head.

"Please stop! You're going to kill her!" She recognized the voice of her best friend Maggie, crying out to reach her. When she had received her first blow from Chris, her best friend and little brother were the first to jump to her defense only to be restrained by her tormenters friends. A crowd had formed after that, a few egging the beating on, as the rest stood in fear of being caught trying to help the schools Dyke. They all knew the repercussions that would befall them had they went for help or showed too much sympathy. It had never been this bad before, but Chris had caught her looking at his Emma.

"No stop! please! Ashley!!" her little brother screamed, begging for it all to stop. It hurt her to hear the sobs coming from his lips. If she had just been normal, he would never have known this kind of fear for someone he loved. It was a difficult path for her to walk, but to know that the people she loved most in the world had to walk it with her, hurt more. When the clicking of heals could be heard running down the hall the blows finally stopped. Chris crouched down near Ashley's face so no one could hear his words.

"You'll never be more than a filthy dyke. A mistake that you could fix by just killing yourself, do us all a favor and take your disgusting family with you. Every girl in this school belongs to me, I will not have you infecting them with your disgusting disease. If I ever see you looking at any of them again, I won't wait for you to have the courage to do it, I'll fucking kill you." He spit on her as he got up to leave, smirking at Ashley's brother Evan as he strolled away with his friends. When Evan and Maggie were finally released they ran to her, checking if she was still alive. The teachers had finally pushed through the crowd.

Their english teacher Ms. Greene was restraining her tears, as Ms. Carter made their way to Ashley. They dropped to their knees checking her pulse, whispering reassurances that everything was going to be ok.

As Ashley laid there trying to focus on staying conscious, she felt a feather light touch on her skin, and she felt hands moving the hair from her face. She used as much energy as she could to open her eyes and when she did, she was met with glistening blue eyes. As the sirens grew louder a tear dropped on her face as they held contact.

This was not the first time that their eyes had connected, throughout the years it was normal for them to occasionally reach each other's gaze. But for the second time today, people around them were also aware. Ashley tried to speak, but the blood in her nose and mouth were already making it difficult for her to breathe, let alone talk. She wanted to tell this beautiful girl so many things, but the only words she could manage were "I'm sorry."

As Ashley started to lose focus, her eye lids were slowly closing as people around her started to panic. She heard the cries of her bother and best friend begging for her to stay awake as she slipped unconscious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Beep....Beep....Beep..... She could hear the faint sound of sobs around her, mixed with an annoying beeping. After a few minutes she recognized the sound of her mother crying, and the gruff voice of her father trying to calm her. It took a few attempts to open her eyes, and a few more to focus her vision. To her left sat her mother and father on what looked like some very stiff hospital chairs. Her father held his wife in a comforting embrace, unashamed of his own tears that he shed for his second eldest daughter. His baby girl, who he wanted to protect more than anything in this world, who he felt he was slowly failing. He couldn't seem to keep her safe alone anymore, and it hurt his pride to hold his wife knowing that he couldn't change this situation for his daughter.