5: I Was Starting To Have ThisTingly Feeling

It was the day Gabriela, Hunter and I were going to meet our tutees. The three of us discussed how we'd approach our future students. Gabriela wanted it harsh. She wanted to make an impression. Hunter wanted to be considerate. I wanted it with Fhac.

The morning was bright and sunny as the three of us headed to a classroom full of individuals with special needs. And I thought we were going to a room filled with kids aged eight to eleven. What I witnessed in that tight-spaced area was a diversity of people with various genetic conditions. I was extremely familiar with Turner's syndrome, depicted by a female with neck-webbing. And there were individuals with Down syndrome as well.

The facilitator organized the group according to the subjects they were having a difficulty in. While we, tutors, stood in front of them with tags hung around our necks regarding our subject preferences. There were fourteen of us and there were seven who chose to tutor biology. I was apprehensive of the fact that no one might approach me so I told Gabriela, who was standing beside me, about my apprehension.

"Considering the fact that this room is so full of people that I can't even breathe oxygen, I'm certain that one of these folks will approach you and have a little chit chat regarding your subject," whispered Gabriela.

"I hope so," otherwise I wouldn't have a reason to talk to Fhac. At least, she could help me tutor my future student. I sucked at biology.

The facilitator finally stopped jabbering. The students calmly walked towards their selected tutor.

An extremely tall guy approached me. He stared down at me for a while and began talking, "According to your tag, you teach biology. What specific field of biology does your area of expertise belong to?"

"Area of expertise? I am not an expert in biology. I just know a few stuff," I replied.

"Well, then, you suck," he walked away, attempting to talk to another tutor.

Gabriela and Hunter seemed to have found new students. They left the room together with them. I was the mere one who didn't have tutees yet.

"Hey," a girl with Down syndrome eventually talked to me.

"Hi!" I responded with enthusiasm.

"Oh pleaths," the girl rolled her eyeballs. "You don't haf to pretend that you're thso eager to meet me. And I would really apprethiate if you don't mind my lithsping. It'ths probably becauthse of my condizhion."

"Oh no. I don't mind," I instantly shook my head. "Shall we proceed then?"

"Whatefer," she crossed her arms and rolled her eyes once more.

"So, what's your name?" I said as we began to walk out of the room. She and I straddled along the hallway while getting to know each other.

"I'm Katherine. I'm twenty yearths old. And I hate thschool!" replied Katherine. "I've been in thschool thsince I waths five. What the hell? I wanna work and marry already!"

Katherine was clearly not enthusiastic about that activity. She was demanding and she talked a lot. Believe me, she had more guts than I had.

Katherine told me she hated math and science. She said she usually enjoyed the classes that the arts program would provide.

"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, Katherine, but you're gonna have to go to school until you learn things enough for you to leave here and get married," I said.

"Jethsus Chrith," muttered Katherine. "I hate my life."

After a few minutes briefing a couple of things to Katherine, she and I parted ways. I waited until the day was over and went home. And then as usual, each day of the weekdays, I got to talk to Fhac.