23.I Do Too, Hayden

Dedicated to - AprilDanfields for being one of the best friends on Wattpad, an awesome critique and for loving MDC. Matt says Thank You :)

Song of the Chapter - Am I Wrong by Nico and Vinz.

~

Diana Hayden

The plan was simple. Matt gets Sapphire to MDC and I knock sense into Keith's dumb head.

Like I said, extremely simple.

Now, I was standing in front of the café to execute my master plan. The classes for the day are over and it's almost time for the sun to set. Sapphire texted me she was leaving early today so she must be home by now. I hope Matt does not mess this up.

I enter the café and the smell of freshly brewed coffee hits my nostrils. I inhale deeply and move over to the guy standing behind the cash counter. His back is towards me.

"Keith Hamilton, it's nice to see you back," I say and he whips around. His eyes narrow at me and I resist from smirking. He hurt my best friend; don't expect that I will be sugar sweet to him.

"Why are you here?"

"No pleasantries I see. Why am I here?" I scoff. "Why are you here?"

"That's none of your business." Keith turns his back to me once again and proceeds to serve the coffee at table number four. I don't say anything until he comes back to where I am standing because I don't want Aunt Sarah and Uncle John to lose the only help they seem to be getting in this place.

"It is my business mister. You leave my best friend out of the blue. You return as and when you like and you don't even have the courtesy to fucking apologize to her. You are the very definition of a bloody jerk." I say all that in a very deathly low whisper which I am sure is enough to let him know I am not in the mood of being my bubbly self right now.

"I have apologized to her in the note I sent with the book. I have stayed away from her after the party at Damon's place. I told her I never loved her and made sure she believed me, it's for the best. I want her to forget me. I want her to move on." For the first time, I see an array of emotions pass Keith's face and he sounds like he is pleading; pleading me to not meddle into whatever that lead him to leave, to come back and to push Sapphire away for the second time. Among all those several emotions that include regret, longing, and guilt, determination stands out. He is determined to keep Sapphire away from himself even though he doesn't want to and I know.

I know what he is doing. He is protecting Sapphire.

But, from what?

*****

"Do you think this is the right thing to do?" Matt asks. We are now inside Magic Dust Cafe seated at table number two. I called him back to abort mission. He is sipping his coffee and I am enjoying my hot chocolate. Both prepared by Keith. Matt does not flirt or make any cheesy remarks. He seems genuinely interested in whatever I want or think or feel and it makes me feels like I matter to someone.

"Yeah. Initially, I thought we could make them meet each other and sort this out but now I think we shouldn't interfere. Keith seems to know what he is doing. I don't know why I believe him, but I do and as much as I want to punch him in the face, I also want them to... fall back together themselves." 

"Punch him in the face?" Matt raises an eyebrow and I giggle. "Maybe," I wink and his eyes go wide, just the slightest. I guess I caught him off guard. 

"I can punch him for you," Matt says and he is not joking. Now it's my time to look at him wide eyed. 

"Not happening," I firmly say. "I think I will just take a backseat in this matter. Let Sapphire come and talk to him if so she wishes. I am sure Keith won't. If she breaks through his defense mechanism they will work it out. I hope so at least."

"I hope so too. You go beyond your way to set things right in Sapphire's life. Sapphire helps me to know more about you so I don't mess up. You both care so much for each other, always looking out for each other..." Matt seems to be talking to himself rather than me. His gaze is fixated on the wall behind me and he is lost.

"Matt?"

"Yeah?" he brings his gaze from behind the wall to my eyes - two pairs of orbs gazing at each other, blue to blue. I place my hand on his and give it a gentle squeeze.

"I care for you too," I whisper.

His gaze softens a great deal. He looks at me like I am a dried leaf - fragile and withered and he can bring it back to life. I want him to bring it back to life. He brings his other hand over mine, securing my hand between both of his. 

"I do too, Hayden. I do too."

_

______EndOfChapter23.IDoToo,Hayden______

Thank You for reading!! :)

Please do VOTE & COMMENT to let me know what you think! ^_^
This story is my entry for the #Wattys2015 #NewAdult 
If you find any typos/errors in this chapter please PM me and let me know :)

Love x~Sash.