Chapter 20

Bridget's POV
I slid my finger across the spines of the various cookbooks, Amma's Homestyle Recipes, Weight Watcher's, Dessert's that would make your man-- I groaned in frustration. Dylan had sent me out to the mall to look for someone or something who knew how to cook Crystal's favorite food, pulled pork. I could safely say i'd spent a good part of my life time in the cooking aisle looking for something easy enough for both of us to explain. Dylan and I'd been baking all day: cookies, brownies, cakes--which wouldn't have taken half as long as it did, if it weren't for all the interruptions. Getting licked isn't as fun as you think--

His whole plan for curing Crystal's Break-Up-Syndrome included a day at the mall all expenses paid of course, and an over elaborate dinner when she got home. I grabbed a promising looking book, and flipped through it.
"Finally!" I sighed, tucking the book underneath my arm. I spun around to leave, just as a man bustled into my aisle. The guy was gigantic, had to be at least 200 pounds of muscle--his skin was unnaturally tanned, almost black--he had slits for eyes. Like a snake.
"Making dinner?" Snake-Eyes cocked his head, taking another step until he stood directly over me. I swallowed, ducking my head and moving to pass by. He intercepted me, causing me to bump into the rack. One of his spidery fingers slid over my cheek, and I winced. My heart went into overdrive, was he some kind of freak-rapist? A kidnapper?
"Pretty...really pretty." He hissed, his eyes narrowing even more. I took a gigantic step backwards.
"I have a boyfriend." I mumbled to the ground, pressing the book to my chest.
Snake-Eyes glanced around,
"Well," He put his hands out. "I don't see him, anywhere." Did I attract the world's population of creeps or something? This time he reached out aggressively, grabbing hold of my wrist.
"No--"
"Why don't you harass someone else's girlfriend?" The familiar charm of someone's voice caused me to jump. I felt his arm loop around my waist tightly, and then yank me away from Snake-Eye's hand.

I looked up at Daniel, realizing how long it'd been since i'd actually seen him. His brown eyes stayed on Snake-Eyes, his midnight Brown hair hung over his eyes, a dragon tattoo I hadn't seen before snaked out from the collar of his leather jacket, barring it sharp fangs at the side of his throat as if he'd be bitten at any second, silver chains hung off from his black jeans that led into dirty combat boots. Again, I was requited with the reason why i'd given him the term Tumblr Boy, which seemed like ages ago now.  Both of them stood there, sizing each other up. I couldn't say Daniel didn't look intimidating, because he did. And it seemed as if Snake-Eyes knew that too.
"I wouldn't want to hurt you, fag," Snake-Eyes spat, his voice shaking, "How about you step aside?" Daniel released my waist, and took a step towards him. I found myself in a case of deja vu as I reached out and grabbed his arm. I felt Daniel's muscles tense as he clenched his fist. He shook me off, and pushed me backwards. His eyes were void less and angry, it didn't even seem like he'd heard me. Daniel  grabbed Snake-Eyes by the collar of his dirty jacket and slammed him against the rack behind him, sending napkin's and plastic utensils falling to the ground.
"Touch her, or even think about showing your face in here again, and I will kill you." Daniel growled, venom dripping from his words, "Understand?" Snake-Eyes looked more like a lost puppy now, as he nodded quickly and stumbled off--tripping over his own feet to get out of the mall.

Daniel turned to me, with a totally different expression on his face. He looked like he was about to laugh.
"Sorry about the whole boyfriend thing, I didn't really--" Daniel approached me, smiling apologetically and scratching the back of his neck.
"Its fine, I mean, it was more my fault anyway. I need to pay more attention..." I rambled, trailing off nervously. Act natural, act natural. I consoled myself, taking an obviously shaky deep breath. Although, acting natural was the last thing on my mind--next to getting home and fixing pulled pork.
"Oh damn, you were really scared weren't you?" Daniel was standing right over me now, eyes locked on mine. His lips inches from mine appeared in my head, and I quickly pushed it away. I gripped the cook book I managed to hold onto during the scuffle behind my back.
"Yeah, i'm okay now. Thanks--I seriously thought I was going to get kidnapped for a second there." I laughed but it didn't sound all that happy.  His eyebrows knitted together and a crease appeared on his forehead, "So you were just here by yourself," He paused to look at the merchandise, "Shopping for cookbooks?"
"Yup." I replied casually. Daniel  chuckled,
"Alright, whatever you say Sunshine. I'll walk you out."  Daniel grabbed my hand, and began leading me through the aisles and swerving through the afternoon crowd. I tried to keep my eyes on the ground as we walked, the stares we got were unnerving. Did people always give him these kinds of looks?
"There's all kinds of weirdo's out this time of day, come with someone next time." He lectured me, as if he didn't notice the people whispering and keeping their distance from us.
"Sorry--what were you doing on this side of the mall? I thought Hot Topic didn't close until 9." I asked as he stepped behind an empty checkout counter.  Daniel shrugged as he pulled a thick cord from around his neck and stuck the key attached to it into the register.
"I took off today, I had a couple things to do." He took the book from me, slid it over the glass detector, and slid it into a plastic bag. I dug in my pocket for the money Dylan had given me, and held it out to him. But Daniel already had his wallet out, scoping for the right amount of bills. I felt the guilt beginning to smother my chest, and close up my throat. He probably still had feelings for me.

"Bridget," His eyes stayed on the register as he tapped the buttons distractedly,
"That day, on your front doorstep--why'd you think it was so weird for me to like you?" I cleared my throat, surprised. I didn't want to have this conversation, not now.
"Do I scare you?" Daniel questioned, his voice barely above a whisper. My heart skipped a beat.

"Do I scare you?" Dylan asked, bruises brandished his face--blood spilled from his busted lip. His blue eyes reflected the moonlight, as his jaw clenched. Dylan's skin seemed to glow, emanating its own silver light--like he was the moon. He turned his back on me slowly,
"I'd never hurt you, Bridget." I saw a single, silver tear slide down his dirty cheek, and then...

"Are you alright?" Daniel's hands were clenching the hell out of my arms, as he stared at me, horrified. When exactly did he get from behind the register?
"Y-Yeah. I'm fine." I shook my throbbing head, trying to clear it. It was like one of my dreams had somehow slid its way into reality. Maybe I am crazy, maybe I do need to go to a therapist.
"You looked like you were about to pass out." His eyes darted between the two of mine.
"I'm alright." I insisted.
I didn't even believe myself.

Dylan's POV

I checked my phone, 6:20. Bridget had been gone for nearly an hour. I began pacing the kitchen floor, contemplating what I should do. If I went looking for her, she'd probably think I didn't trust her enough to be by herself. And then again, if I didn't go looking for her she might be hurt, or sick, or maybe... I shook my head and raked a hand through my hair. I'd rather have Bridget be angry with me than have her ending up in the hospital or something; because I wasn't there.

I grabbed my jacket, and yanked the keys off of the hook on the wall. I pulled the hood over my head as I left the house, it was pouring outside. The rain came down slanted as the wind picked up, throwing the hood back off my head. I growled, frustrated as I revved the engine to the motorcycle. Bridget hated thunderstorms, she's out there all alone--
I left the garage as bright blue lightning zig-zagged across the sky. I heard it strike somewhere nearby, what if it hit her? I was over thinking now, I need to clear my head...I needed too--