Chapter 20

Ann woke up to the other side of the bed being empty. She sighed, missing the warm feeling of Joe's body next to her. Was yesterday a dream? She really hoped so.

She heard voices downstairs so she decided to join them. She sat on the bed and stretched her arms, before leaving the bedroom, yawning on the way.

„Sleeping beauty is here." Joe smiled as he flipped a pancake.

„Mommy!" Willa reached her hands to Ann.

„Good morning." She laughed, picking her up. „Is daddy making you some breakfast?"

„Yes!"

„Not just any breakfast. Joe's special pancakes." He said, throwing the spatula up and then dropping it on the floor in a failed attempt to catch it. „Still working on it."

Willa laughed, which made Ann laugh as well. She missed mornings like this. Family mornings, the ones she loved so much. Not a care in the world, just fooling around and laughing. But why was it all happening? Wasn't he telling her last night that there was no future for them? She tried to wrap her head around it, getting lost in her thoughts, but she was quickly brought back to life.

„Morning!" Nick screamed as he entered the house with Pri and Malti in his hands.

„Morning." Joe said back with a smile. „Just in time, I'm almost done."

„Smells amazing!" Pri gasped. „Hey girl." She hugged Ann. She pulled back and squinted her eyes at her, but Ann just shrugged. She was as confused as she was.

„Help me set the table." Ann said, grabbing her hand.

They started to put the plates on their backyard table, whispering to each other as they did.

„What did I miss?" Pri asked.

„A lot." Ann chuckled.

„I can see that. Last time I saw him he was... pissed at you."

„Well, he wasn't. He was pissed at the whole situation."

"Did you talk it through?"

"Yeah..." Ann sighed.

"Uh-oh. I don't like the sound of that."

"Honestly, I'm not sure where we stand right now."

"What do you mean?" Pri frowned.

"It's... complicated. Please don't bring it up when he's here."

"Ready!" Joe said, walking outside with a plate full of pancakes. Nick walked behind him with fruits, maple syrup and whipped cream.

"Yummy!" Pri clapped her hands as they all sat at the table.

"Anyone wants to go visit Sophie at the hospital with me today?" Ann said as she grabbed one of the fluffy pancakes.

"For sure." Nick nodded. "I think we'll all go."

"Really?" Ann said with a smile.

"Of course. We're a family." Nick smiled and sent her a wink.

"I'm gonna cry." Ann laughed, waving hands at her face as she tried to push the tears back.

"I've missed this." Pri smiled, looking around at everyone. "Finally together again."

"Yeah, it feels good." Ann smiled.

"So, what's next for you guys?" Nick asked as he took a bite. "You're going back to New York together?"

Ann looked at Joe, who didn't took his eyes off of his plate. He clearly tried to avoid answering the question, but Nick was visibly eager to know. Ann cleared her throat and put her fork down.