Chapter Twenty One

"Skyyy....."

"Murfleberries."

"Skyy... It's time to wake up, Sky."

I ignored them. My bed is way too comfortable to get out of right now.

"SKYLAR. It's Thursday! Saturday is prom!" Lucus persisted.

I peeled my eyes open to look up at him. "Are you gonna buy me a corsage?"

"Maybe."

"Okay then, I'll get up. But I still haven't gone dress shopping. All this talk about the bombers has really gotten me tuckered out."

"As it should. I'm still sorry I didn't talk it through with you, but you need to understand that they're threatening our whole family. I-" He didn't get to finish, because the doorbell sounded rather loudly.

"That's odd. We don't typically get visitors unless it's from the..." I trailed off as I realized who it must be.

"The cops. What did you do this time, Sky?"

"Nothing," I said, "just hide me. Just in case."

I ran to my closet and started throwing random clothes on top of me before I realized something. This is my room. I should be hiding in someone else's room.

I jumped out of the pile of clothes and ran straight into Lucus, who decided to be a human blockade. I looked up at him dejectedly and pouted a bit.

"Sky, come on. I'm sure they're not here to arrest you, okay? Besides, it's two days before prom! They're not going to do such a thing to you," Lucus reasoned.

I sighed. "Okay, fine. Let's get this over with. But if I get arrested in my pajamas, I will hurt you severely later -soulmate or not- got it?"

"Got it." He chuckled as he placed his hand on the small of my back and led me down the stairs. He opened the front door after passing some of the boys in the living room. They were too engrossed in the television to notice the doorbell. I looked ahead of me and saw Laleh Spencer, Lucus' mom, standing in the doorway.

"Hey kids. Sorry, I forgot my house key this morning. Hello, Sky. I'm glad to see you're up." She walked past us and into the kitchen, digging for something in her purse. I sighed a breath of relief, but when I looked back at the doorway, I saw Swankey and Sheriff Jones walking up the driveway.

My immediate reaction to this sight is to run. I don't think. I don't need to think. I just run. It's become an instinct. So I don't know why Lucus was surprised when I slammed the door shut and ran back through the living room. I didn't look back as I jumped over some couches, toys, a pair of young twins, and a passed out Fidel on my way to the backyard. "Watch out, suckers! They'll never take me alive!"

I did some sort of sickening, unladylike battle cry as I ran for the back doors. And I wasn't even running very well because of my little pink cast from the sledding stunt. Wow, this house is big. I'm not even in the backyard yet. I didn't get too far, though, because the sliding glass doors weren't exactly open like I thought they were. I hit my forehead and nose on the glass going at a minimum speed of 50 miles an hour. I'm not even sure I'm exaggerating. Man, that hurt. I think I even broke the glass. Oh god. What if I got glass in my eye? Then I'll never be able to see Lucus again! What will I do?!

"LUCUS I'M BLIND MY LOVE. I'LL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY AGAIN. GIVE ME MY CANE AND TELL LALEH AND MACE THAT I LOVE THEM."

"Sky, open your damn eyes." I did as told, and it turns out, my eyes are just fine. I am highly aware of an intense throbbing sensation in my head and stomach. I rolled over on my side and emptied the contents of my stomach all over the shoes belonging to Swankey and Lucus.