Chapter Eight

"So, why'd you kids nail a bunch of doughnuts to a porch, exactly?" Mace, Lucus' dad, asked as we drove home.

I started laughing hysterically, making Lucus put his hand over my mouth from behind. I'm starting to regret letting him sit behind me. Then again, I'm glad. I was getting irritated with the constant energy that was flowing around me.

"I wanted to get arrested once more before school started up again, and it seemed fun. Plus I had a bunch of doughnuts that were going to go to waste," I replied, once I finally calmed down.

"Oh. Okay. I'm just glad you're not doing anything too illegal or dangerous."

The car fell into a comfortable silence one more. Well, it was socially comfortable. Not physically. The buzz was back, since Lucus was no longer in contact with me, so we were both fidgeting nervously. I'm starting to wish I hadn't discovered we were mates. The tingling just gets worse if we're not in contact in some way.

"Oh, for God's sakes! Sky, switch me seats," Chris, who was sitting next to Luke, said.

I happily obliged, and the second our legs came into contact, the irritating itchy feeling was replaced by a warm, nice one. I sighed in relief as I rested my head on the back of the seat. Chris just laughed, and somehow (probably with my psychic abilities) I could sense that Lucus and Fidel were smiling.

~*~

"I'm so borreddd," I complained to Lucus, as I sat on his lap in my room.

Everyone else was off doing their own things, so we decided to try and think of something to do up here.

"Well then put that little psychic brain to work," he replied.

I pulled back to look at him, and once again, got lost in the blueness of his eyes.

"It doesn't work like that," I said, my voice getting a little softer.

"How would you know?" His voice became extremely husky.

"I guess I don't."

Our faces were a mere centimeter away, now. We just sat there, lost in each other's eyes. My breathing sped up as I realized our proximity, and he glanced down at my lips. I couldn't help but look down at his as well. Then, just as he started to lean in, I looked away. I don't know why. I was still just hesitant, and I hated myself for it.

"No," he growled, clutching my face with both of his hands.

He turned my face back towards him, and all I could see in his eyes was care and a bit of frustration. I'm sure all he could see in mine was worry.

"You can't keep doing this to me, Sky." His voice was still husky, as if he were restraining himself.

"Doing what?"

"Getting so close to me, just to pull away. It's not fair. Not for either of us. I know you feel the connection too. Please don't deny it. What are so scared of?"

"Just... That it won't work out. I'm all plain and you're as hot as a god..." I said truthfully. I'm sure I sounded so pathetic right now. Why am I doing any of this?

He chuckled a little at the god part.

"You'll miss a hundred percent of the shots you don't take," he said, his eyes still boring into mine.

"Is that so?"

"It is."

With that, he closed the rest of the distance between us, kissing me real slow at first, but then deepening it. He moved his legs around to where he had was hovering above me on the ground, still not breaking the kiss. I ran my fingers gently through his hair and his grip on me tightened.

All too soon, he pulled back, setting me on his lap, just as the door to my bedroom door opened, to reveal none other than Chris.

"Oh, nevermind. I see what's going on here. Carry on, you two."

And just like that, he shut the door, probably off to tell everyone else.

"What does this make us?" I asked, still breathing heavily.

"Together, I hope."

"Than together we are," I replied, smirking.

He grinned evilly, before pulling me into another kiss.