Chapter 20

------------------2 days later----------

Today is a Saturday. Thank goodness. I've been piled with homework from school. It's a miracle that I was able to get it all done.

I wake up and see that Mel is not in her bed, so I assume that she is getting ready. I head towards the kitchen to see Mel talking on the phone.

I grab some bread and plop it into the toaster. Mel hangs up from her phone call and eats her toaster strudel.

"Who was that?" I asks her. She shrugs.

"It was just Kayleen." she replies. I eat my toast, then hop into the shower. I put on my green t-shirt, some boot- cut jeans and my raincoat because it poured last night.

Mel and I head out to the stable. I walk past a stall and glance at the new name plate on it.

Dakota

Owner McKenzie Burton

Wait, what? I only lease him, unless... I gasp and cover my mouth with my hands. Mel's phone call with Kayleen... It was about Dakota!

"Surprise." Kayleen says from behind me. I spin around and hug her.

"Thank you! Thank you, so much!" I exclaim. I run out to Dakota's paddock and wrap my arms around his neck.

I'm so happy right now.

------------------------------------------

Mel and I are grooming out horses right now. I walk over t the bag I brought and pull out my scarf. It's getting cold, but it isn't to muddy for a ride.

Mel and I tack up, then head to the round ring. We warm up then walk our horses to the field. This is Twilight first time in the field.

A few raindrops fall onto our heads. It doesn't bother the horses, but the clapping of thunder does. Dakota bucks and rears.

I grip to the saddle with my knees and pull his head up, so he won't buck. Mel and I head back to the barn.

We untack and put the horses blankets onto them. I put Dakota in his stall. A car parks in front of the barn.

Lexi steps out of it and runs inside the barn. Her arm is completely healed now. She stops in fron of Dakota's stall and looks at the name plate.

She looks at me with shock, then walks over to Buttercup's stall. Kayleen pulls up her truck in front of the barn.

"Do you want a ride home?" she asks. Mel and I both nod and go into the backseat of her truck. She takes us home.

Mom and dad sits us on the couch and makes us hot cocoa. We put on Flicka 3 "Country Pride." I look outside the window and it is flooded.

It's a good thing we left when we did.