Chapter 2

Dumbledore leapt up from his chair, scattering his parchment in the process.

"That's impressive for a man one hundred and... How old are you Albus?" McGonagall remarked snidely from her chair opposite the wizard.

"One hundred and twenty one, Minerva" Dumbledore chuckled, his eyes twinkling. "How... Charming of you to remind me"

The strict professor simply rolled her eyes. "Why the sudden rush?"

"It's best not to say at the moment, but I must be off" Dumbledore hesitated. "I will be back later, with... perhaps some visitors."

The female professor narrowed her eyes but did not comment. She was used to Dumbledore's mysterious air, as he was a man of many secrets. With a glint in his eye, Dumbledore gently took hold of Fawkes' feathers and in a flash he was gone.

---

Dumbledore's POV (yes, I went there)

Could it be? Could Lily and James Potter really be alive? It was almost impossible, but someone had sent me an owl... James Potters' owl. The owl had flown into my window about midday, bearing no letter nor any sign that it had been sent for a reason. But the the owl undoubtedly belonged to the James.

As I approach the wreck of the Potter's house, I feel dread suffocating me. Of course Lily and James couldn't be alive, how could they? Nobody survived the killing curse, except Harry... could the curse have done something to bring his parents back too? Was it possible?

Cautiously, I open the wreck of the door, holding my wand aloft. Inside the house is an eery silence which worries me. Silence can be the worst weapon against anyone.

"James? Lily?" I call out cautiously, stepping up the stairs, one step at a time. "It's Albus"

James POV

"James? Lily?" A voice calls out and Lily and I freeze, glancing worriedly at each other. "It's Albus" we sigh in relief.

"We're up here" I croak out and Lily nods. "In... In Harry's room"

Saying those words hurt more than any curse could. Knowing that our baby is dead. Gone. And we're alive, without him. A clatter of footsteps alert me from my grief and Albus Dumbledore enters the room, pointing his wand directly at us. For a moment his eyes are alight with alarm and recognition, then he lowers them. Lily lets out a choked noise and I hold her against me.

"Listen-" I start, but Dumbledore cuts me off.

"Please turn into your animagus form" he says, his wand not leaving my chest.

"How did you know I'm an animagus?" I ask curiously. Through our school years the boys and I kept it to ourselves. Not even Lily knew until we were married.

Dumbledore chuckles. "Not much gets past me unnoticed"

Slowly, I nod and in seconds I'm standing as my stag form, looking into the shocked eyes of my old headmaster. When he finally and very slowly nods I turn back into my normal form.

"James" Dumbledore's eyes become bluer and glazed with tears. He pulls me into a hug and pats me on the back. "Good to have you back"

I frown with thought as Dumbledore greets Lily. "how am I back though? the curse..."

"That, I am not sure of myself..." Dumbledore looks thoughtful. "However when Peter Pettigrew-"

I growl at my old best friends name. "Peter betrayed us, Albus!" My voice raises to a shout and Lily flinches. "He betrayed us and thanks to him Lily and I died! I'm going to kill him! I'll get revenge on him! He killed my son! Poor Harry is dead because of-"