Chapter 4

"Err... Surprise?" James attempted awkwardly, looking at the stunned faces around him.

The whole order of the Phoenix minus Remus and Snape were staring and him and Lily. Some of the crowd had shock on their faces, and the others had glee, surprise and in some cases, fury.

"Who are these imbeciles pretending to be Lily and James Potter?!" The man named Kingsley stepped forward threateningly, his wand pointing directly at James' chest. Sirius growled defensively but Kingsley ignored him. "Turn into your animagus"

James glanced at the encouraging expression belonging to Lily and back to the determined faces of the order. He slowly nodded and with one swish of his wand a stag was in his place. The stag had shining dark brown-almost black fur with hazel eyes. Lily smiled and stroked the animal. At the sight of the stag the whole order had gasped, and even Kingsley took a step back in surprise. James transformed back into his human form and stood, his eyes glazed with tears. Eventually Molly Weasley stepped forward.

"James, Lily" she mumbled, tears running down her face. "You're alive!" At that she hugged them both, so tight they could hardly breathe, and that's what broke the tension. Immediately everyone in the order came forward and greeted the Potters, all very emotional.

"James!" Arthur Weasley patted James firmly on the back, beaming. "How the fu-" Molly quickly nudged her husband. "- uhh, sorry dear, I mean, how in merlins name are you alive?!"

Lily shook her head fondly. "We have no idea" everyone's attention turned to Lily as the room went silent. "All we know is that we died and then we woke up in our coffin. Then we met Albus and he told us everything-"

"Except why we came back, we're yet to find that out" James chuckled humourlessly, his expression grave.

A huge scruffy man stepped forward, looking eager. His hair and his beard were a tangled mess, his clothes falling apart and there was a dead mouse hanging out of his pocket. Despite this, however, he looked ecstatic. James didn't recognise him at first, but then his eyes lit up.

"Hagrid!" James almost ran towards the giant and shook his hand, being unable to reach Hagrid properly to hug him.

"James, Lily!" Hagrid smiled, tears shining in his eyes. "I remember you two like it was yesterday, I
do!"

Lily laughed softly, embracing her friend. The friend who had raised dragons, three headed dogs and many more dangerous creatures while she was at school. He was also the one Lily would cry to when James was irritating her or being a prick in general. Tears escaped Lily's eyes at the memories and she pulled away, sniffling.

"Shh Lils" Lily immediately relaxed when she felt James' arms around her and pressed her head against his collar bone.

"Does Harry know about yeh yet? Bein' alive an all?" Hagrid asks, and everyone murmurs and nods.

"Not yet" James frowns. "Albus says we should wait until the time is right to tell him. Don't want to scare him"

Everyone nodded understandingly and Kingsley smiled slightly. "Harry is a very brave boy, considering all he's gone through"

Sirius nodded eagerly. "He's just like you James, but with Lily's kindness" he added teasingly.

"He's just like a son to Arthur and I" molly says and lily steps forward, tears in her eyes.

"Thank you" she murmurs, clasping Molly's hands in her own. "For taking care of our son"

Molly nods wordlessly and Arthur puts a comforting arm around her shoulders. "Our youngest son Ron- you remember Ronald? He's best friends with Harry, they have been since first year when they met on the train" Arthur pauses to chuckle. "Quite the double act, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley!"

James and Sirius smirk at each other knowingly and Lily narrows her eyes at them suspiciously.

"Sorry Lil!" James exclaims quickly, a look of terror on his face. Lily was not someone to mess with. Sirius stifled his laugh with a cough from a warning look from Lily.

---

A few hours (and several drinks) later James, Lily and the rest of the order were all chatting and catching up on everything.

"Harry what?!"

"That's my boy!"

"James!"

"Sorry Lils.."

Lily rolled her eyes and everyone laughed, James grinning sheepishly.

"I'm going to the toilet, I'll be back in a bit" Lily had stood up and started walking towards the door. She glanced at James significantly and he nodded understanding so she left, glad to have a little alone time.

---

Once Lily had left Grimmauld Place she apparated to Godrics Hollow. She straightened her back and looked around, trying to take in every little detail. The only thing she missed out was her house, her old home, now in pieces. She blinked away the tears as she walked swiftly in the direction of the graveyard where James and her would be buried.

Lily's POV

I keep my head down as I walk down the street, not wanting to get recognised. The newspapers didn't know James and I were alive, as I want to keep it that way for as long as I can. As I arrive at the graveyard gates I blink, stopping for a moment.

"You can do this Lily" I whisper to myself.

I glance at all the graves as I pass, noticing names of my old classmates, and some 'enemies' or 'James admirers' as I call them. I frown as I approach James and I's grave, noticing a figure in a black cloak crouching beside it. Terrified, I slowly back away, trying not to make a noise.  The figure has a good covering their head, and their breathing sounds heavy. I take one last step towards the gate, but as I turn around to run, I step on a twig and it snaps. I take a quick and worried breath as the figure turns sharply towards me and raises their wand, walking towards me at a quick pace when suddenly they stop and pull back their wand, getting ready to cast a spell, and I know this is the end, I'll be dead for real this time, I won't be able to meet Harry, this is it, I'm going to die, just be over with quickly, JUST SHOOT THE SPELL-

"Lily?"