Chp10//pensieve

Lily's POV

"Morning!" James yells in my ear.

I jump with fright and fall off the bed. Immediately my ankle stings and I grit my teeth in pain. James roars with laughter, clutching the bedside table for support. I get up, glaring.

"Fuck you James" I mumble, brushing  the dust off myself. "You're a loser"

"Aww Lil" James sidles up to me and kisses my cheek. "That's why you love me"

I tilt my head jokingly. "Hmm, you see, I'm not sure if I do love you really"

James looks terrified. "Lilllyyyy" he whines. "I'm sorry love, I won't do it again"

I roll my eyes. "I was joking, but why did you wake me anyway?"

James grins, looking like a schoolboy. "Dumbledore is coming to see us. Harrys going to be there and so is Remus, Sirius, Harry's best friend Ron, some girl called Ginny I think, and uhh... A girl who's name begins with H... Hetty? Harriet?"

A smile slaps across my face at the thought of seeing Harry again. And meeting his friends, of course. I'm going to make them feel as welcome as I can.

As James and I sit waiting for everyone to arrive, I start to imagine what Harry's friends are going to be like. I know Molly Weasley has a son and daughter in Harrys year and the year below called Ron and Ginny, so that must be them. The last time I saw them was when Ron was one and Molly was expecting Ginny. The girl beginning with H.. I have no idea about but I bet she's nice if Harry is friends with her. With an aching heart I realise that my old best friends are in a worse situation than me. Marlene went missing and has never been seen since, Molly was killed by death eaters and Alice... I gulp at the thought- was tortured by deatheaters until she could no longer remember who she was. I have to visit her soon. She has a son too. Neville, he was called. It was meant to be him or Harry that Voldemort wanted. We were chosen. Both Harry and Neville grew up without parents. Tears spring to my eyes as I vow to treat Neville like my own. Like Alice wanted.

---

James' POV

"Mum! Dad!" Harry leaps towards us as he fling open the door, his friends at his feet.

I jump at the noise and clutch my hand to my chest. "Bloody hell Harry!" I exclaim and Harry chuckles.

"Sorry dad, I just came early because I wanted to see you and let you meet my friends" Harry sits on the bed with us and beckons his friends. They approach cautiously, looking a bit frightened.

"It's fine, we don't bite" Lily laughs and they all visibly relax. Lily has that talent, making people feel calm doubtless of the situation.

"Hang on I'll get us some chairs" I wave my wand quickly and nine comfy armchairs appear in a circle. We all sit down, leaving seats for Remus, Sirius and Dumbledore and I look expectantly  at Harry's friends.

A curly haired girl speaks up first, shaking our hands. "Hello Mr and Mrs Potter, I'm Harry's best friend Hermione Granger"

Lily and I greet her, and I can see Lily marvelling on her good manners.

"Oh please" I scoff. "Call us James and Lily, don't make me feel old!"

Hermione blushes apologetically.

"Tell us something about yourself" says Lily, gesturing for me to shut up.

Hermione hesitates. "I don't really have anything that interesting about me... I like reading and studying, I suppose.."

"That's so cool!" Lily exclaims from her chair and Harry, Ron and I roll our eyes. "I love studying too! What's your favourite class?"

Hermione's smile brightens a little. "I love charms and DADA but Divination is rubbish"

Lily nods enthusiastically. "Same here! It's a load of lies, I never used to trust the teacher. She kept telling me that the grim was going to kill me! Pfft, old hag- it was Sirius all along."

"Oh yeah" I input, remembering the story. "And in our final year Sirius transformed into padfoot and came into her class and-" I break off, howling with laughter and tears on my face. "-and s-she screamed so loud-"

"-that when Dumbledore found out I was suspended for three months" Sirius finished, entering the room and grinning widely, followed by Remus and Dumbledore carrying a strange object.

"Very interesting story, Mr Potter and Mr Black" Dumbledore's eyes twinkle as he smiles, seeming amused. Harry smirks from the corner. "So, I gather that you have all introduced yourselves?"

"Not yet" Lily chuckles. "What's your name?"

"I'm Ronald Weasley, Harry's other best friend" Ron grins.

"Nice to meet you Ron, I remember when you were a little ginger baby with a freckly butt!" I tease and Ron flushes with embarrassment. Sirius and I silently high five and send a wink at each other across the room.

"I'm Ginny Weasley and I'm Harry's... Uhh.." She trails off awkwardly and I smirk. That was Lily's exact reaction when she was introducing herself to my parents. I raise my eyebrows suggestively and wiggle them at Harry who scoffs and blushes.

Lily shoves me in the arm and smiles sweetly at Ginny. "That's so cute. I'm glad he's dating someone like you, Gin"

Ginny flashes an embarrassed look at Harry who shrugs and gives her a small smirk. That's my boy.

"Good good! Ah it is so pleasing to see you all as a family" Dumbledore sighs happily. "Now, does anyone know what I'm holding right now?"

I takes quick glance at the object. It's filled with a silver, watery liquid and not too deep. I have no idea. Lily's hand shoots straight up in the air, shortly followed by Hermione.

"Miss Evans?" Dumbledore asks pleasantly.

"It's a pensieve, Albus" Lily looks extremely interested and everyone else gasps and stares at the old tin looking thing.

"Er... What?" I frown. "Am I missing something or.."

"Honestly dad" Harry rolls his eyes at me and I feel happy inside that he's being so casual to me. This is what I've longed for. "You extract your memories and put them in there. That way everyone can put their head in and you'll be teleported to that time and place. But you won't be seen or heard by anyone in the memory... I'm suspecting that it's here so we can invade my privacy, am I right?"

Albus chuckles lowly. "I'm afraid you are Harry. I feel it is only right for Lily and James to watch. And Sirius, Remus and your friends can too if you want"

Harry nods. "Yeah alright"

"We're going to see Harry's life?" Lily asks, her eyes wide.

"Indeed we are. From as early as he remembers. Harry, if you please..." Dumbledore holds out his wand and extracts the memories from Harry, dropping them in the pensieve.

I gulp and glance at Harry, who smiles encouragingly at Lily and I, seemingly confident. I get myself ready for the worst.

"And so the adventure begins" Dumbledore says calmly, sticking his head into the pensieve.