Chapter 11: The F Word (Friendship)

Author's Note: This chapter is the longest chapter I've written up to date (approx. 3700 words). Don't expect them to regularly be this long, this was kind of an accident. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 11: The F Word (Friendship)

"One emotion after another crept into her face like objects into a slowly developing picture."

     - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Chance

I couldn't stop the words that flew from my lips as my eyes took in the view of my, quite furious, girlfriend.

"Oh shit," Callaway's gaze flitted back to mine as I turned my back to face him. "What am I supposed to do?"

Callaway scowled at me, " It seems that I have to keep connoting that I'm not your goddamn shrink. I have nothing to do with this predicament."

I followed Callaway's eyes as he turned to look behind my shoulder at where Aly had been.

She was now racing towards where I stood in the parking lot at an alarming pace.

Callaway turned back to me, voice frantic as he witnessed Aly, "But if I were you, I'd get in the car and abandon that demented entity you call your girlfriend."

I weighed the pros and cons of the suggestions fleetingly.

"I really don't think that's in my best interest," I furrowed my brows as I retorted, eyes focusing on the movement of the figure heading towards me.

"You promised that this engagement would include milkshakes," Callaway pouted at me.

"I never said that!" I exasperated as I watched Aly drawing closer.

I turned to see Callaway sulking like a toddler.

I looked away once more, contemplating my options.

Aly was a mere half-parking lot away from me.

Though I had sort of promised that I would buy Callaway something.

But I couldn't just leave Aly here; that would ignite even more rumors and conflicts within the school.

My head spun between two views; Aly, scampering towards where I stood, and Callaway, glowering at me.

I made a decision.

I angled to Callaway, palming at the pocket of my jacket.

In an instant, I was capable of pulling out
a few wrinkled bills. I handed them over to the hands of a confused Callaway.

"Go buy yourself a milkshake. On me," I explained, giving Callaway a thin smile. "Unfortunately, I kinda have to deal with..." I trailed off, pointing behind me.

Callaway nodded in comprehension, opening the door to his car before seating himself inside.

My ears caught a whisper of "thanks" as the vehicle's door closed. Though perhaps I imagined it.

I noted the groaning of the engine as I turned away, looking at the mess of brown hair in the winter wind and awaiting my fate.

In a matter of seconds, Aly was standing in front of me, her stance brimming with anger.

I struggled through a meek wave, accompanied with "Hello."

The girl in front of me only grimaced before commanding, "What were you doing?"