Chapter 14: Callaway Puts the Hot in Psychotic

Content warning: GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF SUICIDE AND SELF HARM. IF TRIGGERED EASILY, DO NOT READ.

Author's Note: Okay guys, this chapter is heavy. And by that I mean a lot of shit goes down and it's long. (Approx. 4000 words oh my god) Prepare to feel confused and betrayed.

Sorry, hope you enjoy it though!

Chapter 14: Callaway Puts the Hot in Psychotic 

"Human sympathy has its limits, and we were contented to let all their tragic arguments fade with the city lights behind."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Chance

I jumped as I woke up to a soft buzz from my nightstand. I rubbed at my eyes, groaning as I grabbed at my phone. I swiped through the lock screen, locating my messages.

Zander (The Sex God): heyyy dude, wanna hang out? i've got a HUGE stash of some pretty hard stuff and i'm bored

I chuckled at the contact name that I never bothered to change. I was surprised that Zander was even talking to me, considering the events of the week. I had kind of presumed that he wanted nothing to do with me. I shrugged it off, typing out a reply.

You: It's 11:15. In the morning. I was asleep.

Zander (The Sex God): sorry, it's almost afternoon though, get your shit together bro. But you in??

You: Nah, man. I'm going to the cafe today. Save some for next time :)

I fired the text off, not expecting a reply as I slipped my head back under my covers, resuming my sleep.

_____________

I shuffled around my small house, trying to pinpoint where my dad could be found. I strolled around the main hall, glancing through the entrance of every room I passed before making my way towards the kitchen.

"Dad!" I found him seated at the kitchen table. His eyes focused on his laptop, most likely working on his next dissertation for class. "Can I take the car for a few hours?"

He turned away from his laptop. His fingers swiped up to his glasses, pushing them up further on his nose.

"Of course," he smiled warmly. "Where do you plan on going?"

He looked at me with nonchalance, rather than the suspicion I'd been expecting.

I answered honestly, "I'm meeting Callaway at the cafe on Oak street. You know the one with that girl you were hitting on?"

"Yes, I remember," my dad laughed. "Her name was Sadie - and I was not flirting. She was simply the barista."

I stared at him, unconvinced. "Sure."

"Hey- aren't I supposed to be the one interrogating you about your date?" My dad poked at my shoulder.

"Don't make me do this again," I groaned at my dad as I began stepping towards the entrance.

"I'm just teasing," my dad chuckled. "Though if it is you don't have to be afraid to tell me -"

This time I didn't stop my dad as he continued to babble on about my supposed sexuality and his supposed acceptance. I knew that he was just trying to be as caring and accommodating as possible, so I smiled at him as he spoke.

"Thanks Dad, I'll be sure to keep that in mind." He beamed at my words.

I pressed my fingers against the cool metal of the doorknob, opening the door. A short gush of frigid air caressed my skin, giving me a good indication of the temperature I'd be having to face.