Chapter 13: Cappucci-NO

Content warning: Explicit mentions of alcoholism, depression, drugs, and suicide.

Authors note: Not happy with this chapter, hope you like it though!

Chapter 13: Cappuccino-NO

"All I kept thinking about, over and over, was 'You can't live forever; you can't live forever."

     - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Chance

My heart was palpating through my chest. It's rhythmic beats not unlike the ones in rave music.

What had I been thinking?

My mind was roaring at me as I scampered down the steps of Callaway's house, forcibly slamming the door.

I was being somewhat of a coward; admitting such a momentous fact then running away. It was pathetic, but inevitable. I was too scared to will my body to stay still and endure Callaway's reaction.

I walked around my dad's car. I spared a glance at the large blue house looming in my vision, before opening the door to the passenger seat.

I slid into the familiar tattered leather with ease. I muttered a greeting to my dad, slinging my backpack to the floor as he started up the vehicle

"I want to meet this boy," my dad asserted as he began to drive. "Who is he again?"

I stared at him, confused. "Why?"

"I assumed you were quite close friends with him."

I laughed at my dad, "Hardly, we only met last Sunday."

"Even so, he's the only person you've ever mentioned to me. Well, only person other than your girlfriend," he explained.

My gaze flickered to my dad uneasily.

"Well, about that," I chuckled nervously. "We kind of broke up on Tuesday and now she won't talk to me."

My father glanced at me with concern, "I'm sorry, Chance. Girls are confusing, she'll probably take you back."

I scowled at that, "I don't want her to take me back, I just want to be friends."

"Well, that's alright too. I hope things work out for you, bud," he smiled at me before focusing back on the road. "Now tell me about this 'Callaway' fellow."

I groaned at him before complying. I told him most of what I knew about the peculiar teenager I called my friend.

"He sounds like an interesting boy," my dad spoke sincerely. His expression morphed into a grin. "When do you plan on asking him out?"

I gaped at him, bewilderment clouding my features, "Dad."

My dad removed his hand from his steering wheel for an instant. He ruffled my hair, completely ignoring my discomfort.

"Chance," my dad spoke, tone serious, " you have to stop arguing to me about this. Your sexuality isn't a mystery to me, no matter how much you like to believe in my ignorance."

"But Dad-"

He interrupted me, "I understand if you don't want to tell me yet. Remember that I'll love you no matter what-"

The rest of my dad's words were lost as I blocked my ears with my hand. I was exhausted of hearing the same lecture that I had been subject to for years.

My dad's mouth closed after a while. He beamed at me, as we rode in silence for the remainder of the drive.

_____________