Chapter 19: Har-ASS-ment

Content warnings: Mentions of death, non consensual gestures and rape (nothing explicit.)

Authors note: I'm still so happy about this: the picture for today's chapter is a cover/fan made thingy (her words, not mine ;D ) that KateeFTW made for me! I absolutely love it and love her and I think you guys should all check out her work, it's pretty great!

I actually hate how this chapter turned out. And it's short. So sorry about my incompetence to create adequate work.

Even so, I hope you enjoy this shorter Callaway chapter!

Chapter 19: Har-ASS-ment 

"Life is much more successfully looked at from a single window."

   - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Callaway

Chance had been holding himself in a manner most bizarre. Which was insinuating a lot, because he was usually pretty odd.

But it was worse now. Impossibly worse.

What had happened on Monday that had so drastically changed his demeanor was unknown to me, but I was put on uncovering it.

Had it been something I had done? I doubted it, hence I had done nothing out of the ordinary, but it was difficult to ascertain with someone as emotional as Chance.

It had been two days since, what I came to denotes as, 'the incident' and Chance's mood was everywhere.

Some days he'd be astonishingly giddy and ecstatic throughout our time together, but on other days he'd be more aloof and low-spirited.

It was unsettling and hard to manage; I never knew which Chance I would be having to deal with.

It was so exhausting having to be witness to his bipolar behavior. I had reached the point where I resorted to desperate measures to fix it; I confronted Aly.

Which ultimately displayed how dire the situation was, because I truly despised Aly.

But it was the only thing I could think to do, and so Aly it was.

I approached her in the hallway on Thursday between our first and second classes. Trudging through the hordes of students was difficult. Increasingly so due to their unwillingness to let me through.

My solution was to lightly elbow them wherever my arms could reach. I got an expected amount of glowers, but I did succeed in reaching the place in which Aly had situated herself.

What I was doing could only be described as...awkward.

Aly was beaming at me when I approached her. "Hey, Callaway," She chimed. "What's up?"

I ignored the futile question. I stared at Aly for a brief moment contemplating the true necessity of what I was to do. Aly simply grinned at my conspicuous expression of disgust.

I sighed, "Something is awry with Chance. Have you been aware of this?"

Aly's eyes widened momentarily, lips pursed. I surveyed as she began to pick at her hair in an obvious display of uneasiness. Her head spun around, watching the teeming hallway with apprehension.