Chapter 25: Hardcore Violence and Temporary Silence

Author's Note: I'm so sorry for updating late! Unfortunately things got busy and I had to sacrifice my writing time. I also suffered from writer's block which was not fun.

Dont know if I like this chapter, so tell me what you guys think!

Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 25: Hardcore Violence and Temporary Silence

"She was feeling the pressure of the world outside and she wanted to see him and feel his presence beside her and be reassured that she was doing the right thing after all."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Chance

It baffled me to know that I had been annoyed with the whispering students before.

But after the incident in French class, the whispering heightened.

Immensely.

And I could feel myself slowly going insane.

"Chance, what the fuck happened in French class? It's all I've been hearing about."

I had been staring at my chicken noodle soup, absent and morose, when the voice startled me from my stupor. My gaze flicked up to find a tall, broad and dark haired boy. My mouth stuttered as I looked at Zander, ambling towards to where I was seated in the cafeteria.

He gave me an astonished look. "So is it true that you and nut job are . . . a thing?" He laughed, peering nervously at Callaway who was sitting beside me. "But like - no offense."

"I'm sure you had no intentions of insulting me," Callaway snarled at him.

Zander look mildly terrified.

"Zander," I sighed, exasperated. "Nothing was or is happening."

I felt a twinge of guilt at the lie, glancing at Callaway, a mere inches away from me.

"So what was that little comment about you lasting long?" Zander roared. "Holy shit."

I gritted my teeth. "It was a joke."

Callaway agreed, "Precisely. It was me attempting to be humorous and spiteful."

Zander shrugged coming to sit opposite of me at the table. He stared right a Callaway. "You should've been more careful then. Everyone is batshit about this." He sniggered, "I think you guys even have a fan club of freshmen. They're insane."

Zander gestured vaguely to the back of the cafeteria, where a group of freshmen could be heard chanting: "Birds on wheels, birds on wheels!"

Over and over again.

It was horrifying.

"I hate freshmen."

Zander smiled coyly at Callaway at his comment. "Just like you hate me?"

Callaway looked up from his phone, visibly disgusted. "I hate you because you're an asshole. I hate freshmen because they're wholly annoying." He gave Zander a hard look. "You're worse."

"Wow, you guys are so bitter. I was just coming around to -"

"Ridicule us," Callaway concluded for him.

Zander's eyebrows furrowed. "Well . . . it is funny."

I shook my head at him, miffed.

Zander came to meet my gaze. He gave me an indiscernible look before remarking, "Chance you should really hide that . . . thing  from who-knows-who. It is really not helping you with the Calla-gay thing."