Chapter 26: Pants Shampoos Gets Jealous

Author's note: I'M BACK! Yay! I'm actually really happy to get back into my writing routine after my long needed break. My exams went pretty well and now I'm just waiting for march break.

Hope you all didn't miss my book too much and I hope you all like today's chapter.

Enjoy!

Chapter 26: Pants Shampoos Gets Jealous

"Involuntarily I glanced seaward—and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Chance

I had never prided myself in being the smartest kid ever; I received decent grades, I didn't bother sucking up to teachers and, ultimately, I just did my best to pass.

But even if I wasn't astoundingly intelligent, I was still relatively knowledgeable; I could write a decent report, could read and comprehend those annoying classical books and I could finally understand like 40% of what Callaway was saying.

I wasn't stupid.

But what I did in biology class - well . . .

That was stupid.

Beyond stupid.

So stupid that I believe I could finally and honestly categorize myself with white pencil crayons and capris.

"I - I punched him in the face." I stared at the principal's, not wanting to meet his eyes. "I take full responsibility."

Mr. Bosworth's eyes squinted in harsh scrutiny as he surveyed me. "Is this true Mr. Parkinson?"

The - still bloody - boy beside me scoffed, "What? You think I did this to myself? Of course it was Chance -"

The principal glared, an obvious annoyance coating his features.

Matt coughed. "Sorry, I mean - Yes, sir. It was Chance who assaulted me."

I clenched my teeth. Assaulted?

Anger flushed within me, fingertips tingling as I felt nearly ready to punch him again.

But I didn't. For I did not want to be facing anymore consequences for my recklessness.

I simply stood my ground, an all too familiar mantra thrumming in my head:

For Callaway. For Callaway.

It rang through my head like a blaring song as Mr. Bosworth punished me.

"You will be suspended for 3 days. Don't let anything of this genre ever happen again."

_________________

What I had done was stupid.

But what Callaway did after was stupider.

Essentially, he threw himself under the bus for something as pointless as me.

My mind couldn't help but flicker with an odd affection. I tried my best to put it out with a heavy wave of worrying thoughts; people will know about it, and then they'll bully him further. And surely Matt can't be too happy with all of this.

But underneath the soppy mess of negativity, the flames still licked at the walls of my conscience;

He did it for me.