Chapter 9: Telling Lies

Maria walked out of the woods still in sort of a daze. Her legs had mud all the way up to her knees. She wasn't sure how much mud got on her during all of this. She tried to rub the mud off of her legs. When she did this mud got all over her legs.

She sighed and continued walking. She was afraid her mother was up by now. She felt so bad she did not want her parents worried and think she ran away or killed herself. She begun to think about him again. She had forgot how many times her mind went back to him. She tried to put it out of her head and continue to walk.

There was a big bang on the door. Adam ran to the door and opened it. There was two police officers there. They said with a stern voice "What seems to be the problem?"

Adam said with extreme fear in his voice. "My daughter is not in her room. She is suppose to be sleep, he begun to cry, I do not know where she is. Please help us find her!"

The police officers asked different details such as "Are you sure she didn't sneak out with friends?" Adam quickly replied, "The only real friend she have is Sam and he is sleep." As he said this there was a huge knock on the door. His heart lit up because he thought it could be Maria.

He ran to the door and as he opened it he saw it was Sam. Sam ran in with his eyes wide and asked why was the police was at their house. The police stopped Sam and asked him if he knew where Maria was. Sam let out a huge breath and said "What do you mean! She is upstairs sleep."

He then looked at Maria's mother with fear and said "She's up there right?" Her mother instantly looked down and said "No." Sam felt like his whole insides burst. He felt this pain in his heart. He prayed so much to his self that she was not hurt. He went and sat on their velvet sofa and put his hands on his face.

The police officer asked him if he knew where Maria could have possibly went. He told them, "He could not think of any places she would go.", All of her girl friends were asleep right now, he said "besides she is not even that close to them."

The police officers sat down and asked them what seemed like a million questions. Everyone was in a daze. Sam hoped that Yacoob wouldn't wake up. He did not want him to worry about this. He had been dragged along on all of these emotional roller coaster rides for so long.

He thought about Maria, he thought about being able to hug her and tell her everything would be okay. He would then make her promise him she would never do anything like this again. As he began to think there was a knock at the door. Everyone looked at the door.

Maria's father ran to the door immediately. He swung it open and there she was. She was covered in mud. Her sheer night gown had mud splotches all over it. Her brunette hair was fluffed as if a huge gust of wind went through it. Her father stared at her in horror.

He yelled, "What happened to you!" He hugged her and cried for minutes. He asked her so many questions that her head spun. Maria's mother ran to her and said "Please honey, we will get you all the help you need but you have to start explaining your problems."

Maria looked at her mother and said, "Mommy nothing happened to me. I made a dumb decision to follow that cat that returned again from some nights ago. I know it was dumb but he was just so cute. Then I tripped and fell... and well that is how all of this mud got on me." She said as she shook her sheer night gown.

She hoped to God her mother would not realize that she was making up a complete lie. She looked at Sam and he looked completely terrified. She knew he did not believe her, he was her best friend. He could see through her like someone could see through shiny, clean glass.

She walked into the house and took off her mud soaked boots at the front door rug. Everyone looked at her. The police officers asked her was she telling the truth. They had dealt with situations liked this and when a young girl come into her home late at night covered in mud she usually had escaped a sexual assault.