Chapter Five

"I'm sorry, are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else?" she said.

"Yes, I'm sure. If you don't want me that much, then tell me that. Say, Cali, I'm sorry but you were a mistake in my life. I don't want you. Say it!" Tears fell from my eyes. She was silent on the phone.

"Cali?" I turned around to see Daddy standing in the closet doorway. "What are you doing?" The line went dead.

"Making a mistake, I guess." I dropped the phone.

"What's wrong?" He wipes my tears away and looks down at the black book.

"You called her?" he whispers.

"I thought maybe she'd like to talk to me. But I guess she hates me too much to do that."

"Cali, your mother loved you very much."

"Then why did she try to act like someone else?! You know she hates me! And I hate her!" I burst into tears in his arms. "Truth is," I sob. "I really wanted to get to know her."

"I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"If I hadn't left her, you would have grown up knowing your mom."

"It's still not too late to start. But she doesn't even want to talk to me."

"Try calling her again. Tell her if she doesn't want to get to know you, then at least give you closure."

"I can do that."

"That's my girl." He hugs me.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Daddy." He kisses my forehead.

I pick up the phone and redial the number. She immediately picks up the phone but I don't give her any time to say anything.

"Look," I start. "I feel bad that I hardly know you. And I really want to get to know you. But if you don't, then tell me you don't."

"Uh, who is this?" The voice sounded different.

"It's Cali. Is this Melissa?"

"No, it's her daughter, Calissa." I nearly dropped the phone again.

"H-her daughter?"

"Yeah, how do you know her?"

"I'm her daughter."

"You're kidding."

"Nope. She's my mom. But her and my dad broke up years ago."

"Does this mean we're sisters?"

"I guess it does."

"Oh! I've always wanted a sister! How old are you?"

"18."

"Cool! I'm 15. Mom! Why didn't you tell me I had a sister!" I hear Mom's voice in the background.

"Who are you talking to, Calissa?"

"Your other daughter, Cali. She called your phone and I answered it."

"Lissa, what did I tell you about answering my phone!"

"You're so mean. All she wants to do is get to know you. And I want to get to know her. She is my sister, you know."

"Give me my phone, now."

"I wanna talk to Cali. Please?"

"Give it here!" I hear rustling and I look up at Daddy.

"What do you want?" Mom angrily says.

"I just wanted to see you and get to know you. But I understand that you don't feel that way. Maybe that's why you never tried to get me."

"Cali, I did try to get you. What are you talking about? Your father won custody of you. We went to court about this when we divorced."

"What?!" I glare at Daddy. "You never said she tried to get me!"

"Cali, I-"

"No! I don't want to hear it!" I shove past him out into the bedroom. "Mom, can I see you? And I want to meet Calissa. She sounds really sweet."

"Trust me, she's a pain in the ass. But if you really want to, then sure. Come to 4876 Canyon Road, down the street from your father's studio."

"You mean the one he's always been at?"

"Yeah. His trusty studio he calls it."

"Okay. See you soon." I hung up the phone.

"Please, listen-"

"Stop. I've listened enough. You lied to me! I can't believe you! Why would you go and do something like that?"

"I'm sorry Cali. I knew if I told you, you'd probably would want to go live with her. And I couldn't stand to lose you."

"You were only thinking about yourself! What about me?"

"I'm sorry. I was being selfish. But only because I love you so much."

"Don't try to butter me up."

"Come on, you know it's working."

"I'm still mad at you."

"I understand you're upset. I'll make it up to you, I promise."

"How?"

"I have a surprise." That catches my attention. I'm a sucker for surprises.

"Really? What is it?"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise."

"Does it have to do with my birthday that's coming up?" My birthday was coming up in 2 weeks. I'll be 19 finally.

"I'm not giving you any hints."

"Please?" I give him my puppy dog face.

"Don't give me that look."

"Humph." I get up and waltz out the room.

I go to my room and think about Mom. I was kinda excited to go see her. And I couldn't wait to meet my sister. The more I thought about it, the more excited I got.

"Hey, Dad!" I call.

"Yeah?" he calls back.

"Are you going with me to see Mom?"

"Only if you want me to."

"Please?"

"Okay." I walk out into the hallway and I hear the front door opening.

"Chris!" It was Robyn. Daddy immediately walked out the bedroom and I tailed behind him.

"Yeah?" Daddy asked her.

"I'm pregnant!" Daddy and I looked at each other with shock.

Thank RachelEllis4 for this update! She wouldn't stop lecturing me until I did!