Innocence in Our Lives

Pan's POV:

It was a long time before I was able to be the leader again. I needed to get my act together, and I knew it, but for whatever reason, I just... couldn't. Not for whatever reason. I knew why; it wasn't an excuse.

So when I took a look at how Felix was running the camp, I had to admit that I was impressed. Gone was the Felix that was around when I was in charge. He was more serious, which was strange, but I couldn't say I was against it. Even though he was my best friend, there was no question that Felix was always a little... soft. He never cared too much; he cared too openly. Most of the time I was okay with his mother hen style, but since she left, it was like he'd turned to stone. He kept the boys in line and he did it with nothing but a look.

But they were suffering too. At night, I heard them calling for their mothers-- something that they hadn't done since Lily arrived. This wasn't a problem I could fix with a magic spring or a memory spell. She wasn't on the island anymore, which meant that she was out of my reach. If I wasn't one hundred percent sure that she was alive and capable of handling herself, I would have just let that damn hourglass run out on its own.

Yeah, we were a mess without her. Except Felix; he seemed to have just shut down completely. That was almost as worrying, if not more. I cornered him once, after lights out.

"You're avoiding me," I said. It wasn't a question.

"I've been busy, and you haven't been the most social yourself."

Ouch. Okay, he was definitely not okay. Normally he would never have addressed me like that. I conceded, just a little. "True, but at least I'm trying to fix things. Why have you been acting like this?"

"Because I... I can't even look at you without remembering that you're the reason she left in the first place!" he snapped.

"Fair enough. And your loyalties?" Felix was all I had left. If he turned against me--

"To you. Always to you. Are you stupid, Pan? I'm pissed, not disloyal." He rolled his eyes. "And no, my feelings haven't changed either, in case that was your next question. But you already knew that, didn't you?"

I nodded solemnly. I still didn't know what to make of Felix's infatuation with me, even after all these years. I'd chalked it up to the fact that I'd been the one to rescue him personally from the hellhole he'd been staying in and I didn't particularly care about his sexuality one way or the other. He was the first Lost Boy and nothing would change that, least of all a little crush.

"Just warn me the next time you're going to pull something like you did with John and Michael, okay? It's weird, treating them like employees."

A humorless smile spread across my face. "Here's your warning. Next time they show up on this island, they'll have completed their assignment. I want them killed."

Felix looked coldly ahead, pointedly not looking at me. "And the girl?"

I realized with a start that he meant Wendy, not Lily. "I have the feeling that she hasn't outlived her usefulness yet. We'll keep her where she is for the moment. Prepare for a few... unwanted visitors on the island. Things are about to get very interesting around here again."

Lily's POV

There aren't words to describe how torturous even a short conversation was with Pan when he didn't even know who he was really talking to. I did my best to keep it strictly business, but even then it got a little off-topic. And what did he mean by things getting "interesting?"