Any Happy Little Thought

Pan's POV

I watched as she vanished, both appalled and relieved at my own actions. Now she would be out of the line of fire, even if she wasn't with me, but had that outburst at the end really been necessary? It hadn't, I knew, but Pietro decided that it would be a fantastic idea to get that little tidbit in. From the looks of it, she hadn't even understood what he/I was talking about in the first place; all he'd done was make me look like a lovesick bastard.

Granted, that was true, but that didn't mean she had to know. 

It was time to do something about this situation with Pietro. At the very least, it would get my mind off of the decision I'd just had to make. I rummaged through the box of old scrolls I kept under my bed (because really, there was no other place to put them) until I found the spell I needed. It was ironic, using someone else's spell for something like this, but Maleficent's sleeping curse was exactly the potion for the job. A few tweaks and I'd be back in action, a true Peter Pan once more. A few minutes and a pinprick later, Pietro was nothing more than a sleeping presence in my mind, only to be awoken if and when Lily ever figured out her position on this whole "True Love magic" thing. I couldn't remember the last time my mind had been so clear-- so cold and calculating. It was amazing.

For days, I concentrated on Henry, trying to turn him over to the proverbial dark side while his team of "rescuers" tried in vain to use Tinkerbell against me. I showed him all the best aspects of being a Lost Boy. One day in particular, I taught him the joys of shooting an enemy.

"Wake up," I said, standing over his cot. When he did, I tossed him an apple. "I got you something."

He sat up groggily. "I don't like apples."

I looked at him, amused. It was strange how a feeling s familiar as amusement still felt fresh in the absence of sentiment. "Who doesn't like apples?"

He smiled at a not-very-inside joke. "It's a family thing."

Ironic that he's my great grandson, isn't it?

"Don't worry," I said, smiling. I knelt down to eye level with him. "They aren't for eating."

I had Felix rally the boys to the target practice area to watch the boy who was soon to be their newest brother, for however short a length of time. I dipped a crossbow shaft into a jar of dreamshade extract as Henry watched, too curious for his own good. 

"What's that?"

I held in a smirk; of course, I'd forgotten Henry's ignorance to anything even remotely dangerous. "Dreamshade. A nasty poison. I've heard a story about a who once shot an apple off his son's head with an arrow. Let's find out if that's possible."

I notched the shaft into the crossbow before Henry asked his next question, seeming a little frightened. "If you're shooting the apple, what's the poison for?"

"A motivation not to miss." I aimed at the tree. "Felix! Get over here."

It wasn't that I didn't trust Henry not to miss... Okay, that's exactly what it was. Until he got a little practice, I was essentially giving him a loaded weapon and telling him to run wild. Felix's immunity to dreamshade would keep him from dying painfully if Henry missed. 

"Is Felix good?" Henry asked anxiously. "Is his aim good?"

"Doesn't matter," I said, handing him the weapon as Felix took his place in front of the tree silently. "You're the one doing the shooting."

He looked mildly horrified. "I don't wanna shoot."

One look from Felix was enough of a cue for the boys. "Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot."