The Ability to Love

Lily's POV (whaaaaaat? an order change???? yes. an order change. deal.)

When we moved camp, I was in charge of moving Baelfire, or Neal, as he seemed to be calling himself now. What a terrible name. Neal. It sounds like some kind of animal meat. 

Digressing. I led him along like a lamb to slaughter. At one point, he even had the nerve to try to make conversation with me, asking what had happened to Lily, how I'd been all these years. Small talk. When it was finally too much to handle, I spoke. "I remember when I first welcomed you to the island. It seems like just yesterday, doesn't it? And when we saw that corpse the mermaids had mangled, I think I knew it wasn't you. I hoped I'd never see you again."

"I'm gonna get Henry back," he snarled at me. "Pan shouldn't have taken him in the first place."

From what I'd managed to glean from Henry, Baelfire hadn't even met the boy yet; so how did he have this much faith that the "power of love" or whatever would help him defeat Peter Pan, of all people? "You of all people should know better, Baelfire. You have no chance. If you think I've changed, you'll be amazed at who Pan is now. He's not to be trifled with, and he never fails." He doesn't have to know  that the change is so recent. Let him think that it's a long-standing issue.

The traitor snorted. "You know, Felix, I learned a lot when I got back into the world. But I think the thing that would blow your mind the most is that in most worlds, those thoughts that you have about Pan aren't repulsive anymore. You try so hard to conceal it, but looking back, it's so obvious. And you don't have the option to do a damn thing. It's pathetic."

I knew he was bluffing, trying to get a rise out of me, trying to find a piece of the old Felix so he could appeal to his better nature. It hurt because it was true (both for Felix and now for me), but not as bad as he was hoping it would. Lucky for me, I wasn't Felix. "I have my reasons, Baelfire. There's a lot of things you don't know because you left us. When Pan gets the heart of the Truest Believer, things are going to get a lot better for us. Who knows? Maybe he'll even--"

Something hit my head and then the world went black.

*~*~*

The sun was way too bright. It burned a red tint on the inside of my eyelids before I even woke up. Peter hadn't weather this good in a while.

"Felix, get up."

Speak of the devil. I almost groaned before realizing that the real Felix would never have done that. Instead, I stood obediently and didn't meet his eyes. He laughed good-naturedly. "Don't worry, you aren't in trouble this time. I fully expected him to escape."

I looked at him curiously, but said nothing; the fear I'd felt the other day was still fresh in my mind. Questioning Peter's motives was out of character, stupid, and, in most cases, unnecessary. He tended to explain things, given time. This time was no exception. "You've been out a couple hours, but the good part's just starting. Come on." He held out his hand and I took it without even thinking. Then we were in a bush near camp. Slightly and Curly patrolled boredly, looking for intruders that weren't there. 

"Why are we hidi--" 

Peter clapped a hand over my mouth. "Hush, Felix. You'll see."

There was a crunch behind us and the Dark One walked out of the trees, blowing sleeping powder on the boys. They collapsed in two heaps on the floor. I twitched, holding myself back from rushing to their side. Mean-Felix act or no, they were still my brothers; it was strange and horrible to see the man that ruined my life drop them like stones. Peter wrapped his arms around my torso to hold me back, whispering so quietly I barely heard him from an inch away. "They're alright, just watch. Just watch."